ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Axsotic 3D Spherical "Mouse" Ball

<< < (2/2)

nudone:
if you aren't using a pen at the same time as this new device there's no point to it. it's only a benefit for 3d artists/designers that will benefit from freeing up their keyboard hand for moving around in the x/y/z planes. in that respect i can see it being quite handy.

(for 3d games, can't see the point at all. but that's isn't the intended market.)

rxantos:
Seem interesting. But, Would it really accelerate the workflow compared to a trackball?

nudone:
Seem interesting. But, Would it really accelerate the workflow compared to a trackball?
-rxantos (October 30, 2010, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

i think it would, how much is hard to say without trying it. if you think of what is required without it. a trackball isn't going to allow you to move in the x/y/z planes - not even if you assign those movement to the trackball buttons instead of the regular "mouse" button clicks. well, you could but you'll need 6 buttons on the trackball to get the same results as the Axsotic is providing, a button for each movement: up, down, left, right, forwards, backwards. perhaps you could have 3 buttons and a toggle to reverse their direction.

so, you see, it starts to get cumbersome - and i don't even know if there are any 6 button trackballs out there (i doubt that there are).

again, this device is of no real benefit if you aren't wanting to use a pen at the same time as controlling movements around a 3d object. it's all about trying to keep the workflow smooth.

i do see the whole idea falling short of the target when you consider how much keyboard/hotkey shortcuts are probably going to be required whilst drawing - that's going to interrupt the workflow; so kind of defeats the whole keep your hand on the pen and ball idea.

programs like Maya do have clever radial shortuct menus (a bit like Circledock) that are only a click away so they'd be perfect for the Axsotic workflow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version