ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

XYplorer Lifetime License 51% discount on BitsDuJour on Monday 8 Nov 2010

<< < (2/14) > >>

DonL:
FYI, the new name will be an alternative, not a replacement. XYplorer will not stop to exist (and being developed). Other than the name, both products will be 100% identical, they will even have the same icon and the same short name ("XY"). It's really just the name, a purely cosmetic and superficial difference. And there is only one reason for it: I got bored with the reaction to "XYplorer" -- 90% find the name totally idiotic, difficult/unclear to pronounce, difficult/unclear to spell. :)

Don (XY dev)

PS: Those of you who find FlexyFiles idiotic: You don't need to tell me. There is no way to please all, and I won't revise the decision anyway. ;)

Curt:
PS: Those of you who find FlexyFiles idiotic: You don't need to tell me. There is no way to please all, and I won't revise the decision anyway. ;)-DonL (October 31, 2010, 04:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

-fair.  :up:

Are you launching a new company name at the same time, like Acme Inc. ?  :P

Darwin:
 ;D Thanks for posting in this thread, Don. I'm a bit of a "we fear change" type when it comes to software name changes. I was also unimpressed when another DC regular who is also a software developer (Pierre Landry) changed the name of his product from SQLNotes to InfoQube... my objections seem rather silly a year on!

Tuxman:
"Flexyfiles". Geez, what a boring name.

tomos:
Well I'm happy to hear the XYplorer name is also being kept
I thought the criteria list for the new name was good:

MUST
- The name must be easily pronouncable for most people on this planet.
- When you see the name you must know how it is pronounced.
- When you hear the name you must have a good idea about how it is written/spelled.
- It should be catchy and memorable, without sounding like the name of a virus.
- The name must not be used already by any other well-known software.
- The name must not be a registered trademark like "explorer".
- The domain http://www.(name).com must be available.

NICE TO HAVE (but not essential)
- The name should have some connection to file management (fantasy allowed)
- If the name contains the sequence -xy- then I don't have to remake the icons. :wink:
--- End quote ---

I guess in many non-english languages, the letters XY dont exactly roll of the tongue (even when spoken as letters)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version