ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"ICE" Your Cell phone

<< < (2/2)

wraith808:
It's been around for a while... surprising that if Paramedics, etc., use it, it hasn't become more widespread in announcement.  It's always been some sort of little article, or something passed around by someone else.  Made me wonder for a while if it was an urban myth, but snopes put that to rest, though it did put it into perspective:

From http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/icephone.asp
Contrary to several chain e-mail warnings, ICE is not something that Paramedics will rush to look for the instant they arrive at an emergency, and is certainly not required in order for LAFD Paramedics to provide quick, focused and compassionate emergency care.

We tell people: Add ICE to your cell phone only after you've affixed similar information to (or near) the official photo identification you routinely carry in your wallet.

Why?

With so many types and brands of wireless phones, it can take precious minutes to learn how to access a phone's directory. Many wireless devices are also found to be locked, damaged or have discharged batteries following an incident, rendering ICE unusable.

Please do encourage your interested friends and colleagues to make an ICE entry in their cell phone, especially if it will give them peace of mind- but not at the expense of written emergency contact and medical information.

--- End quote ---

(On a different note, it's pretty strange that snopes prevents c&p of text...

Deozaan:
Don't most people have people in their contact list like "Mom" "Dad" "Wife", etc?

Kind of makes "ICE" redundant.

wraith808:
Don't most people have people in their contact list like "Mom" "Dad" "Wife", etc?

-Deozaan (October 29, 2010, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have my wife in as 'wife', and she'd be my emergency contact.  I'd think that most married people would be the same.  And there's always the case where you don't *want* your mom or dad called (my mom is elderly and miles away... I'd not want her disturbed if something happened to me).

Stoic Joker:

-Deozaan (October 29, 2010, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have my wife in as 'wife', and she'd be my emergency contact.  I'd think that most married people would be the same.  And there's always the case where you don't *want* your mom or dad called (my mom is elderly and miles away... I'd not want her disturbed if something happened to me).-wraith808 (October 29, 2010, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

My folks are local, but I'd have to second that one myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version