ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can I use a remote pc's static ip because I haven't got one?

<< < (3/4) > >>

patthecat:
The proper way would be some sort of VPN access into their machine/network.  That way you log in at your convenience.

Maybe they require static IP because they want to do a reverse VNC connection of some sort for remote control of the server the database is on.  This one method of how an electronic medical records vendor provides remote support - the client connects to the vendor by doing a reverse VNC connection by typing in the support person's IP / host name and port.  This way the client only allows access to outside entities at their own time.

I guess you'll find out more about the connection security requirements when you meet with them...

patthecat:
See if they are amenable to doing remote control of their machine based on the following.  I know LogMein needs install and has a MS service running, but I was thinking something like TeamViewer - the portable version if they do not want a service installed or running all the time. 

When they want support, they launch TeamViewer (Portable) and give you the pertinent info to connect.  You launch your TeamViewer, plug in the info and you're remote controlling their machine.  No static IP required, the TeamViewer mediates connection between the two machines but the transmission is encrypted, and with the Portable version your client only launches it when necessary for support.

nudone:
At the moment it still sounds like I'll be going the path of using a remote machine that has a static IP.

The people that control the database think it is a simple enough request for me to have a static IP (they were surprised I didn't already have one). I'll have to see if they are friendlier in the flesh than the terse emails I've had so far - maybe face-to-face it will be easy to make suggestions to them.

Deozaan:
If all of the PCs involved got in the same Hamachi network, you'd have a VPN with static IPs. Probably won't happen on a server though.  :-\

Stoic Joker:
You do realize that the Windows native Remote Desktop Protocol uses very little bandwidth when configured properly, right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version