topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can I use a remote pc's static ip because I haven't got one?  (Read 8814 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Okay, I *feel* this can be done - but I'm wondering if I can avoid using a remote desktop (that's the obvious method, to me, at least).

The scenario:

My ISP (TalkTalk in the UK) doesn't provide a static IP. I'd have to migrate to their Business Broadband, which will cost me about double my current monthly charge and the only thing I'll gain is a static IP.

I could jump ship and sign up to another ISP. That will also mean paying more than I do now, plus I'll have the stress and worry of transferring to another provider - who I may then find doesn't provide good service.

All I need is a static IP - or access to someone else's static IP via a remote connection maybe. Perhaps this is a rubbish idea and there's a much better way.

The requirement is that I need to access a database on someones server and they will only allow me to do so if I have a static IP. This is related to potential future work for me - so, I need to make the effort to get the new IP but I'd really like to keep it cost effective too.

A remote desktop would work, but it seems a bit clumsy to me; because I'd also have to allow for the bandwidth of the remote desktop display coming to me - I've only got a 1 meg line so it's not ideal for such things.

So, is there a way I can connect to the remote PC, use its static IP (well, the IP of the router at the location) but avoid using a remote desktop.

I suppose the idea is like using a proxy - but it's one that will provide me with the very same static IP every time I need to access the specific database/server.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 05:32 PM by nudone »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can I use a remote pc's static ip because I haven't got one?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 05:44 PM »
Would a dynamic ip service work? You can run the client on the server and it updates the ip address associated with the account each time it changes. What do you think? www.no-ip.com www.dyndns.org

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 05:59 PM »
Not sure, Josh. I'd thought about it but it's the people at the other end that are demanding I have a static IP. I'm not sure but I assumed they wanted it for security reasons. Maybe I've missunderstood the importance of the IP requirement.

I'll have to find out but I think their answer will remain the same - it was the only requirement they made of me.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 06:08 PM »
Not sure if I made this clear in my original post but my idea was something similar to this...

My PC connects to a collegue's PC several miles away via a remote desktop connection.

The remote PC (several miles away) is using a static IP.

Via the remote desktop connection, I use the remote PC to connect to the database (at another location).

The database machine just thinks I'm controlling it at the remote PC (with static IP).

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:10 PM »
The requirement is that I need to access a database on someones server and they will only allow me to do so if I have a static IP.

How do you need to access this database?  Via a shell over SSH?  Web?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 06:22 PM »
Sorry, I don't know yet. I'm going to meet with them next week for a training session on their system. I'll try and find out what I can before then. One problem is having to liaise through someone else - I'm just the person that will following orders and probably will be kept in the dark about most things.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 07:32 PM »
DDNS won't work.

It's likely that the database has IP restrictions and will not connect unless the IP is added manually. That's pretty common. That would preclude DDNS.

I suppose a proxy service would be about the easiest. Provided they give out the same IP address all the time. I've looked around for proxies, but they're not that easy to find, and a lot look really dodgy.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

patthecat

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 07:55 PM »
Ideas other than remote access/control (like VNC, LogMeIn, etc) to remote PC:

- setting up a VPN like OpenVPN from your PC to the remote PC.  Don't know how much bandwidth this will save over remote control service like LogMeIn.
- static IP VPN monthly subscription service. http://www.surfbouncer.com/static_ip.htm

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 08:15 PM »
In theory, couldn't your friend run a small port redirection service?  (I remember seeing a simple one in the AutoIt forums some time ago.)  If your friend has a router which is sufficiently intelligent then maybe his computer wouldn't need to be on, just set up a rule within it.  Then again, will the redirected traffic pick up the static IP of the redirector or just forward the IP of the redirectee?

Or a proxy?  (AnalogX Proxy is the one I usually use for a local proxy, it might stretch to what you want.)

Of course, it probably all depends on what protocol is required for access.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:18 PM by 4wd »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 02:25 AM »
Thanks very much guys. The surfbouncer monthly static IP subscription is something I hoped would be out there somewhere (my own googling failed me); not sure about the cost involved, though, as changing my ISP would work out about nearly the same.

I'll have to look into the AnalogX Proxy and the router's abilities at the remote machine end. I didn't realise routers could do all that (if I'm lucky).

At the moment, it's still difficult to know how much energy to put into solving the problem. They require me to access their database but how often is the question. If they can cope with their workload then I'll never be called upon to help - which I hope explains my reluctance to start paying for a static IP service that I might only use for a few hours a year.

patthecat

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 10:11 AM »
The proper way would be some sort of VPN access into their machine/network.  That way you log in at your convenience.

Maybe they require static IP because they want to do a reverse VNC connection of some sort for remote control of the server the database is on.  This one method of how an electronic medical records vendor provides remote support - the client connects to the vendor by doing a reverse VNC connection by typing in the support person's IP / host name and port.  This way the client only allows access to outside entities at their own time.

I guess you'll find out more about the connection security requirements when you meet with them...

patthecat

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 10:19 AM »
See if they are amenable to doing remote control of their machine based on the following.  I know LogMein needs install and has a MS service running, but I was thinking something like TeamViewer - the portable version if they do not want a service installed or running all the time. 

When they want support, they launch TeamViewer (Portable) and give you the pertinent info to connect.  You launch your TeamViewer, plug in the info and you're remote controlling their machine.  No static IP required, the TeamViewer mediates connection between the two machines but the transmission is encrypted, and with the Portable version your client only launches it when necessary for support.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 12:05 PM »
At the moment it still sounds like I'll be going the path of using a remote machine that has a static IP.

The people that control the database think it is a simple enough request for me to have a static IP (they were surprised I didn't already have one). I'll have to see if they are friendlier in the flesh than the terse emails I've had so far - maybe face-to-face it will be easy to make suggestions to them.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 12:54 PM »
If all of the PCs involved got in the same Hamachi network, you'd have a VPN with static IPs. Probably won't happen on a server though.  :-\

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 07:10 AM »
You do realize that the Windows native Remote Desktop Protocol uses very little bandwidth when configured properly, right?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 08:29 AM »
You do realize that the Windows native Remote Desktop Protocol uses very little bandwidth when configured properly, right?

Does it. That's the way I'll have to do it then. I was thinking of my experiences with VNC and expecting it to be a bit sluggish.

Thanks for the tip.