ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can I use a remote pc's static ip because I haven't got one?

(1/4) > >>

nudone:
Okay, I *feel* this can be done - but I'm wondering if I can avoid using a remote desktop (that's the obvious method, to me, at least).

The scenario:

My ISP (TalkTalk in the UK) doesn't provide a static IP. I'd have to migrate to their Business Broadband, which will cost me about double my current monthly charge and the only thing I'll gain is a static IP.

I could jump ship and sign up to another ISP. That will also mean paying more than I do now, plus I'll have the stress and worry of transferring to another provider - who I may then find doesn't provide good service.

All I need is a static IP - or access to someone else's static IP via a remote connection maybe. Perhaps this is a rubbish idea and there's a much better way.

The requirement is that I need to access a database on someones server and they will only allow me to do so if I have a static IP. This is related to potential future work for me - so, I need to make the effort to get the new IP but I'd really like to keep it cost effective too.

A remote desktop would work, but it seems a bit clumsy to me; because I'd also have to allow for the bandwidth of the remote desktop display coming to me - I've only got a 1 meg line so it's not ideal for such things.

So, is there a way I can connect to the remote PC, use its static IP (well, the IP of the router at the location) but avoid using a remote desktop.

I suppose the idea is like using a proxy - but it's one that will provide me with the very same static IP every time I need to access the specific database/server.

Thanks.

Josh:
Would a dynamic ip service work? You can run the client on the server and it updates the ip address associated with the account each time it changes. What do you think? www.no-ip.com www.dyndns.org

nudone:
Not sure, Josh. I'd thought about it but it's the people at the other end that are demanding I have a static IP. I'm not sure but I assumed they wanted it for security reasons. Maybe I've missunderstood the importance of the IP requirement.

I'll have to find out but I think their answer will remain the same - it was the only requirement they made of me.

nudone:
Not sure if I made this clear in my original post but my idea was something similar to this...

My PC connects to a collegue's PC several miles away via a remote desktop connection.

The remote PC (several miles away) is using a static IP.

Via the remote desktop connection, I use the remote PC to connect to the database (at another location).

The database machine just thinks I'm controlling it at the remote PC (with static IP).

skwire:
The requirement is that I need to access a database on someones server and they will only allow me to do so if I have a static IP.-nudone (October 27, 2010, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

How do you need to access this database?  Via a shell over SSH?  Web?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version