ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Laptop choice: better CPU or more RAM ?

(1/6) > >>

tomos:
I'm researching a laptop on a budget - for somewhere I work a couple of hours a week - they have *no* computer - why do all my aquaintances and friends have to be complete technophobes...
That's why I ended up here I guess :-*

Aiming for a Thinkpad, but there's multiple versions (as usual). Graphic memory is shared on both.

Version #1 [Less CPU | More of everything else] Versus Version #2 [More CPU | Less of everything else]

Graphik on *both* / Intel GMA 4500MHD Grafik. Shared VRAMVersion # 1  (€479)Version # 2 (€499)CPUIntel Pentium T4500 Prozessor (Dual-Core) (2,3 GHz, 1 MB Cache, 800 MHz FSB)Intel Core 2 Duo T6570 Prozessor (Dual-Core) (2,1 GHz, 2 MB Cache, 800 MHz FSB)Memory4 GB DDR3-1066 SO-DIMM2 GB DDR3-1066 SO-DIMMHD320GB250GBUSB x 4 x 3Card readerYesNo

So, the one with the better CPU is €20 more expensive in spite of having less

* memory
* HD
* Card reader
* usb ports
Do you think the extra CPU power is that important ???
or is this just weird pricing ?

Sorry/ forgot to say: both have Win 7 HomePremium

tomos:

I would have thought the extra memory would be more important cause of the shared video memory (?)

superboyac:
I don't know...I'd normally go with the one with the better CPU.  The reason is because RAM, HD, card reader/usb is much easier to update or replace than a cpu on a laptop.

Darwin:
I'm with superboyac on that... the RAM is an easier/safer upgrade than the CPU.

4wd:
My vote goes for choice number 2 also.  See if they can toss in an extra 2GB for a reduced price, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Is there any reason for a lean towards Thinkpads, (other than the price), my understanding was that since Lenovo took them over the quality has gone a bit downhill as of late 2009/early 2010 at least.  But hey, that may have been model specific, etc, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version