ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Laptop choice: better CPU or more RAM ?

<< < (3/6) > >>

tomos:
Thanks f0dder :)

edit/ I should have specified in the first post what it would be used for, sorry bout that folks, and thanks for the help :Thmbsup:

Darwin:
There is a version of this machine with a 256MB graphics card for about 550, but according to reviews that's a bit noisy then...
-tomos (October 28, 2010, 05:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

It'll be noisier because of the fan, I suspect. As you're not planning on using it for graphics intensive stuff, save your money. BTW, these days, even onboard GPU's are sufficient for photo manipulation tasks, etc. I *think* it's when you get into video editing and gaming that you'll notice a difference.

f0dder:
I *think* it's when you get into video editing and gaming that you'll notice a difference.-Darwin (October 28, 2010, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hm, does video editing require much of the GPU? I would expect CPU (de/compression of streams) and harddrive (speed, especially if dealing with HD content, and to some extent size) to be a lot more important :)

I've got a "Mobile Intel(R) Series 4 Express" GMA adapters in my laptop, which is slow compared even to the Intel onboard stuff of today (the laptop is 2½ years old) - and it's quite fine for running Win7, only lagging in games.

Darwin:
 ;D OK - point taken!

Lutz_:
Perhaps OT,  but I really hate the latest generation of notebooks because of their abysmal vertical display resolution (something like 720 pixels).   :down: :down: :down:
The designers apparently assume that watching videos is the main reason of existence for a notebook and not reading and working with texts or anything else a bit longer. Perhaps something to watch out for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version