ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Limewire shutdown, permanently

<< < (3/8) > >>

mahesh2k:
I download animes from torrent softwares/sites and never got any virus or malware from it. Torrent gives you option to see file format before you download it. These videos have .rmvb extension to it and as i download it from trusted subtitle makers group there is no chance of virus/malware.

wraith808:
<snip />
The fact the RIAA has won 1 case doesnt say much
<snip />
-Stephen66515 (October 28, 2010, 09:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, it does, and it's one thing that people seem to ignore/be ignorant of.  A long view approach to such things is to build up a mountain of prior rulings.  In judicial environments, prior rulings hold a *lot* of weight, making your case stronger/eroding your opponent's position.  Any defeats/successes are relevant to the larger picture going forward.

KynloStephen66515:
<snip />
The fact the RIAA has won 1 case doesnt say much
<snip />
-Stephen66515 (October 28, 2010, 09:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, it does, and it's one thing that people seem to ignore/be ignorant of.  A long view approach to such things is to build up a mountain of prior rulings.  In judicial environments, prior rulings hold a *lot* of weight, making your case stronger/eroding your opponent's position.  Any defeats/successes are relevant to the larger picture going forward.
-wraith808 (October 28, 2010, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Countless defeats + 1 win ... The math is the key.

Yes, previous rulings certainly hold a whole lot of weight, but if you had a lawyer who had those statistics to his name, you would fire him and hire a new one...if you even hired him in the first place.

I think the next 6 months will tell us what we need to know and it might be worthwhile keeping  a close eye on proceedings from the RIAA.  I will certainly be looking more into what they are up to, and if I find anything interesting, I will be posting it here :D

wraith808:
Countless defeats + 1 win ... The math is the key.
-Stephen66515 (October 28, 2010, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Countless?  I think you're overstating the case a bit :)

Josh:
Stephen, if one case shuts down a service which, while not ADVERTISED to support piracy but information is found which demonstrates the service is intended to be used for such or that over half of the users are using it for such activities, then this could be groundbreaking. Other services would not stand a chance once a case has been won.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version