ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Limewire shutdown, permanently

<< < (2/8) > >>

Renegade:
@Josh

Good points. (My own software is pirated over bit torrent.)

I'm just curious if at some point we'll see a "tax" like we have on blank CDs. Dunno.

KynloStephen66515:
At the end of the day, people will ALWAYS pirate software, music, videos, and anything else they possibly can.

Limewire shutting down doesnt bother me in the sence that its LIMEWIRE, one of the WORST P2P software apps in known history, containing NOTHING but virus's, spyware, adware, and generally crap content.

There are still plenty of other options for P2P software.

The fact the RIAA has won 1 case doesnt say much, as it has taken them 4 years to win it against ONE company...yet look at the likes of PirateBay...they have tried and tried and tried, but will never succeed...and thats because people CARE about pirate bay as there is a whole lot of legitimate content on there.

Torrents are currently used by large games manufactorers to distribute large game clients and patch addons so they do not have to use a seperate line just for the downloads section.  These companies do also offer P2P, HTTP and FTP but the torrent ones are the most chosen because, generally, the company has also written a small utility that when downloaded, will download the torrent for you at maximum possible speed (Negating the need to download BitLord/BitComet etc) - Unlikely those games companies (TQ & Sony to name but 2) would be very happy if the RIAA tried to shut down Torrents all together  :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
Apart from game updates being distributed with BitTorrent (Blizzard WoW patches was the first time I saw this), there's lot of other legit content as well:
*  debian-506-i386-DVD-1.iso
*           done     4459.2 MB Rate:  82.3 /   0.0 KB Uploaded: 182964.1 MB                 [T  R: 41.03 low]
* Tracker: [Tried all trackers.]-rtorrent
--- End quote ---

...and opposed to an application like LimeWire, there's numerous programs around implementing the torrent protocol, so there's not a single company to target, no single control server - and there's trackerless support for bittorrent as well.

mahesh2k:
I use utorrent to download anime (bleach to be precise). Why ? because there is no way i can get this anime in my country. It took 10 years to reach DragonballZ to hit television channels in india. I'm still waiting for the DVD's so you can see that torrents are heaven for those who like animes. Tite kubo (who writes bleach anime) has no issue with the distribution of this anime. I don't think everyone has issue against torrent distribution. Sad to see limewire going down.

KynloStephen66515:
Sad to see limewire going down.
-mahesh2k (October 28, 2010, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, but only from the fact that the RIAA won a case.

Other than that, I am not sad to see the back of limewire...that is the main cause of n00bs getting bad viruses and thier computers filled with spyware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version