ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Limewire shutdown, permanently

(1/8) > >>

Josh:

File-sharing program LimeWire has been permanently shut down after a federal judge found it guilty of assisting users in committing copyright infringement "on a massive scale."

The shut-down is the final chapter in a case brought against LimeWire LLC by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) over four years ago.

The suit, filed by the RIAA on behalf of eight major music publishers in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, charged LimeWire with facilitating "pervasive online infringement." It also accused LimeWire of allowing and actively encouraging users to participate in music piracy.

During the court proceedings, the plaintiffs claimed that over 93 percent of the software's traffic was made up of infringing content.

In May 2010, federal Judge Kimba Wood found LimeWire LLC liable for copyright infringement. She also found LimeWire founder Mark Gordon to be personally liable. The RIAA then made two separate motions--one for permanent shut down of the company, and the other for freezing of the company's assets.
--- End quote ---

More at source

Renegade:
Hmmm... I wonder what this means for the bittorrent protocol.

KynloStephen66515:
File-sharing program LimeWire has been permanently shut down after a federal judge found it guilty of assisting users in committing copyright infringement "on a massive scale."
--- End quote ---

-Renegade (October 27, 2010, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

And the HTTP Download protocol

And the FTP download protocol

And any protocol that allows files to be shared to other users

And any website that allows this (RapidShare, MediaFire, MassiveUpload)

All youtube videos containing homemade music vids to popular music

Etc, Etc...

Renegade:
--- End quote ---

-Renegade (October 27, 2010, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

And the HTTP Download protocol

And the FTP download protocol

And any protocol that allows files to be shared to other users

And any website that allows this (RapidShare, MediaFire, MassiveUpload)

All youtube videos containing homemade music vids to popular music

Etc, Etc...
-Stephen66515 (October 27, 2010, 07:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sadly, I think you're right.

I wonder how long it will be before they try to tax bandwidth just like they taxed blank CDs.

Josh:
I see a key difference here between all of those other protocols and services like limewire, kazaa, bearshare, etc.

Bit Torrent, HTTP, FTP, etc. were all designed with data distribution in mind. While there was always the underground which had illegal software (shareware copies of scorched earth anyone?) being distributed, it was the minority. The difference nowadays is that many of these tools are designed with piracy in mind. While it is not placed on the homepage of said products directly, you can tell that this is the case when you read the support forums or look at some of the features being implemented.

I have no issues with P2P as a technology, but I do have a problem with programs which are clearly designed to bypass copyright and distribute products illegally. HTTP, FTP and Bit Torrent were NOT designed with this in mind. HTTP was for web traffic, FTP for file transfer (site-to-site) and bit torrent for distributed data distribution. Bit Torrent is largely used by many corporations for data distribution. Microsoft, Sun, Various movie distribution sites use it.

I see a clear distinction here between these services, protocols and technologies when compared to the vast majority of P2P programs out there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version