ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me come up with a Windows XP-->Windows 7 transition strategy.

<< < (4/6) > >>

cmpm:
On my XP setup. I had drive C for XP and a Recovery Drive D.
I Used Easeus Partition manager to make C / XP half of the drive,
formated drive D and made it larger-the other half of the drive.

Installing W7 in advanced mode allowed me to install into drive D.
Running W7, it became drive C, Runnung XP it was drive C.
And the other not running operating system was drive D.

Certainly do a backup before trying.
If you don't already have a drive D to manipulate, make one.
It may work for you as it did for me.
Or because of the way my particular computer operates.
Don't know and not sure.

f0dder:
Trying to run an XP install under different hardware (i.e. a VM) than it was setup on is asking for trouble, if not impossible.-Eóin (October 27, 2010, 07:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
P2V migration actually works pretty well - it's going V2P that tends to cause trouble.

Anyway, I'm definitely in favor of imaging the old XP install, then doing a fresh Win7 install and get things working steadily while being able to use the old XP install in a VM or on a spare computer. Definitely don't get into dual-booting or upgrade installs.

Eóin:
I really thought that just wouldn't work, should have educated myself first I guess :-[

f0dder:
I really thought that just wouldn't work, should have educated myself first I guess :-[-Eóin (October 28, 2010, 02:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, for anybody who have tried moving a system harddrive from one machine to another (doing "P2P" but without any fix-up steps) and experiencing an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD, it's a pretty fair assumption :)

Just imaging a system and plugging that directly into a VM probably doesn't work too well, there's usually some fixup step involved.

Armando:
Some imaging software have an option to allow transferring a system image to another computer without to many problems.

But if not, it's possible to do it manually :

- https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=8349.msg61210#msg61210
- https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=10753.msg85100#msg85100

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version