topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone tried WinPatrol "Cloud" and is there a way to disable the remote bits?  (Read 2989 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I notice WinPatrol has been updated.  But it seems this "cloud" business is built into the new version.  Has anyone taken the plunge?  I don't particularly like stats gathering being sent off to servers.  But it does seem to have some bug fixes for x64.  So I'd like to know if I can update then kill the "cloud" portion?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
As far as I can tell, the cloud bits are off by default - I'm running the latest version and note that the Options tab has an option to "Allow PLUS Info data collection". The radio button for this setting is off.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's encouraging.  Thanks. :)

Hmmm, reading the description on the site it doesn't sound like there's any opting out of it:

http://www.winpatrol.com/upgrade.html

On the plus side if you go into the history list the old 18 installer is still there for download.
The way it's written just makes me think the cloud bit it built in.

I guess I could packet sniff to see if it calls home but I lost my gum wrapper tin helmet. :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:22 PM by MilesAhead »