ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Crashplan backup software

(1/2) > >>

justice:
Didn't find a dedicated topic to this very good piece of software, Crashplan. I have used many backup programs in the past and this one is the best I have tried. It's like Mozy, however with a spare harddrive or NAS you can use the free version to backup multiple pcs to that instead. Attach a drive, specify it as the destination, and let it go. It will even email you when it was 3 or more days that a backup last took place. You can even backup your friends/relative's pc on your datastore (encrypted of course).

If you have a local backup (say at home), then reattach the drive on a different pc at a different location (say at work), having Crashplan installed on both will allow you to continue the backup with only the differences being sent over the net.

Good readup at Lifehacker

Perry Mowbray:
Really? 8 hours for 2 GB??

...just noticed that that's not your graphic  ;)  How is the speed??

justice:
Not sure, it just backs up, either when I'm away and I don't notice it, or when i'm not using the computer but I still don't notice it. I just notice every time i look at it at least 99.5% of stuff is backed up. Just notice that the graphic is showing Crashplan central (backup to their online servers) and I only ever backup to removable drives.

Perry Mowbray:
Cool: I'm sure I looked at them before... but they sound irresistible now, so I'll give it a go  :Thmbsup:

Are you still in the 30 day free trial?

Maybe we should start a DC CrashPlan club and backup to each other's computers? Though $40/year isn't much for off-site storage.

justice:
No I'm not on the 30 day trial, as this is for the online backup, I don't use that. The program is free with restrictions that you can get out from by buying Crashplan+.

Here's some screenshots so you can see what features are disabled and what you can configure (i just left this as they are)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version