ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm thinking about learning how to program.

<< < (13/16) > >>

delwoode:
so whats a good book for learning C# then?

Renegade:
so whats a good book for learning C# then?
-delwoode (November 04, 2010, 04:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty much any O'Reiley or Wrox or Apress.

I'd say get the Wrox Beginning C# and the O'Reiley C# Cookbook and the O'Reiley C# Pocket Reference. Those 3 will have you blazing forward faster than just about anything.

Oh, or the "C# Essentials" is very good too. If you're already familiar with some other languages, that's a cheap and fast way to get up to speed.

mouser:
decide how gentle an introduction you want.
then go to amazon.com and search for C# books, and look at the ratings and read the user reviews.

if you are already a programmer and are just new to C# you will want one kind of book; if you are completely new to programming you will want a different kind of book.

wraith808:
+1 for C# Essentials.  I also agree with what mouser said; when I first started in C#, I was coming from several years of Delphi, so my essential book that brought me up to speed very fast was .NET for Delphi Developers.  I don't see why they don't write more books like that for other languages, but I was very happy for that book.

MilesAhead:
I can see where the drag & drop should be a straight-forward path(didn't the Delphi guys go over to MS to do the RAD stuff? Or is that just a rumor?) but I found C# easy because I had C and C++ already.

Java had a similar framework(the Borland tools) but I had to learn different syntax/language at the same time.  It was just more natural to go with C# having a C background.  If you've never done delphi or RAD tools and never done any C based languages, it may be a tough way to start.

Trial and error may be the best approach.  Try a few freebies and see if one sticks. :)
For easy first language syntax, AutoIt3 is probably as easy as it gets for windows. If..Then Select..Case While..Wend  pretty simple.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version