ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm thinking about learning how to program.

<< < (12/16) > >>

Renegade:
I think it's also important to mention that C# (also Python and others for that matter) are full-fledged programming languages targeted at practical use in productive environments and for that reason come with some advanced and non-trivial concepts. I don't think you can just say: start with C# and it will be easy. There's so much information on the web about theses languages nowadays that it's sometimes hard for the novice to distinguish the basic from the advanced concepts. These languages are definitely not developed to be first programming languages although obviously they do serve well also for that if you find out what features to ignore at the beginning.

I'd also say you can successfully learn how to program even with languages such as C# or C++ if you find and use a good book (or a good teacher  :))
-phitsc (November 01, 2010, 09:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

While there are a lot of extremely difficult things in languages like C# and C++ (and many others), I think if you focus on fun, you'll get more done. Also, focus on getting things DONE. e.g. Start with a Windows Forms application in C#. Drag a button onto the form. Double-click the button. Type

--- Code: C# ---button1.Text = "I did it!";
Click the green play button at the top of VS, then click the button. You've got something DONE! A tangible result!

Next, drop another control on the form. Explore it. Try something. Double-click things on the form. Double-click the form. Try easy stuff like "something.Text="fun!";" Have fun! You'll learn in no time.

FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN~! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Renegade:
I think if you start with VB.NET, you can learn that in 2 weeks easily. C# might be harder. VB.NET is extremely easy and forgiving. Just an idea.

pyrohacker:
I suppose I'll throw a couple pennies in.

I started "programming" with windows .BAT files, and I had fun.  I liked doing it, so I learned more and I continued.  After a while, I wanted to make "real" programs, so I went to www.cplusplus.com and learned.  I never really had any fun with C++, though.  At one point, I looked into making GUI programs instead of simple command line tools, and I got the pants scared offa me.

I've always liked programming, but it wasn't until I did some web coding that I fell in love with it.  (I'm talking client-side here, not PHP--though I am curious.)  My favorite thing about web coding is the fact that it isn't done in just one language.  They're conceptually separated, and I love that.  When you want to make content, you use HTML.  When you want to change how it looks, you use CSS.  When you want to make it do stuff, you use JavaScript.  Granted, it means you have to learn three different languages, but I never thought they were at all difficult to learn.

Even though this thread really isn't about environment, I'll chip in here, too.  I use two different windows:  Chrome, and Notepad++.  It's simple, it's effective, and it works for me.

Do what works for you.   :)

delwoode:
And don't forget to check out the self-teaching programming school on the DonationCoder forum -- it was designed with one purpose in mind, to help motivate people to teach themselves how to program.  Some people find it quite fun!
-mouser (October 26, 2010, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
wow I have been coming to this site for ages and didnt know you had an Autohotkey section!

MilesAhead:
For the vc++ dialect of c++ there are some good resources here:

http://www.codeguru.com/forum/

Most of the questions seem to be beginner to intermediate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version