ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm thinking about learning how to program.

<< < (4/16) > >>

MilesAhead:
My buddy from college also just recommend Python to me to start out with.  I'm definitely going to start with that and see how it goes.  We used to program a bunch of stuff in Matlab together, and he said I'd pick it up fairly easily.
-superboyac (October 26, 2010, 04:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've played around a bit with it.  My only suggestion is make sure the programming environment has an option to remove all tabs from the input and indent with spaces. For Windows I found the ActivePython download very nice. I used a few versions of it and it's always installed pretty much ready to use.  The built in editors have those settings.  Python uses all indentation rather than brackets like { } or keywords Begin and End to signify the beginning and end of a block of code.  It sure cuts down on having to hit the Shift Key when coding though.  One thing nice about it is you can do object oriented stuff in a program that's only a few lines.  You don't have to declare a bunch of classes to get something to happen.  Also there's a large community out there on forums.

Renegade:
Hmmm... You might want to look at Iron Python. You then have VS, .NET, and Python all in one.

kyrathaba:
+1 for Iron Python.

Speaking of Python, you may enjoy/benefit from this article about that language, and its evolution, Superboyac.

app103:
If you decide to go C#:

* Free Visual Studio
* Free books
* Free assignments
Dive right in!

If you decide to go Python:

* Download Python
* Free books
* Free assignments
Dive right in!

If you decide to brush the dust off old Turbo Pascal skills, it has grown up a whole lot and is now knows as Object Pascal or Delphi:

* Free cross-platform IDE (I can't recommend a Borland IDE since Borland doesn't have anything to do with Delphi any more and Embarcadero doesn't offer a free or low cost IDE suitable for beginners)
* Free books here and here
* Free assignments
Dive right in!

With any luck we will be seeing a NANY project from you next year.  :)

phitsc:
... but I didn't because it was very early in the morning and interfered with my swim team practice....
-superboyac (October 26, 2010, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Who knows, one day your ability to swim might proof more useful than your (now non)ability to program Turbo Pascal! ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version