ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

dot Net complaints

(1/7) > >>

Josh:
What a shame it requires .net framework to run  :(
-PhilB66 (October 23, 2010, 11:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

And what is wrong with .NET? I have each version installed and it causes no problems on my systems. It is actually fairly decent to code in as well (I use C#, F# and VC/VB.NET). This ties right into my topic on the aversion to the .NET Framework. Most complaints about .NET seem to stem from a bandwagon approach of knocking anything MS.

PhilB66:
Darwin, Josh & all the other idiots that are quick to jump to conclusion... apart from stating that LangOver requires .net to run and that's a pitty because I can't test it. How on earth you decide I have something against the .net?

Oded, you should mention the requirements on your Website to save the hassle to others who don't have .net installed on their pc.

Darwin:
Hi Phil66 thank you for calling me an idiot. Very nice.

If you don't like mouth-breathing idiots such as myself jumping to conclusions, try being more explicit about what you mean when you post. I've been caught out this way myself in the past, but have yet to call those who jump to conclusions because of my mistakes idiots, or any other derogatory names.

LangOver:
Hi,

I think most of pepole have a .net installed, but I will write it in the support page.

thanks,
Oded

f0dder:
Easy now, all you guys :)

<offtopic>
I'm one of the people who (after I matured a bit and got over my OMFGASSEMBLY! period) have taken a liking to .NET, and find the general "it just sucks" aversion to .NET pretty silly and tiring.

There's a few relevant issues with it, though:

* .NET appsare more memory-hungry than native equivalents, and there's CPU-speed overhead as well - although it's not as easy as saying "always slower", but that's a topic on it's own.
* For older Windows versions, .NET doesn't come preinstalled, and it's a large download if you're on dialup. Yes, some people still are.
* .NET doesn't get really interesting to program in before 3.0, which minimum OS requirement is XP-SP2. Some people are still using older OSes.
That's what I can think of off top of my head, and IMHO for most stuff it's not a reason to discard a .NET based language... unless you're writing stuff that needs to run on really low-end hardware or old operating systems. There's of course "portability issues", but given MONO I'd say .NET apps are somewhat more portable than native Windows apps (OK, OK, Wine).
</offtopic>

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version