ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Rename Next

(1/2) > >>

mateek:
There are times when I have to name a bunch of individual files in a particular folder and often they are consecutive.  I'll typically right click to rename a certain file, type in the new designation, hit enter, and then mouse down to the next file and start the process again.  I'd love to see a program that on hitting the return key would then jump to the next file in the folder already in the rename function automatically.  If you hit enter without making a change the cycle would be ended.

For instance when I download a fresh batch of pictures out of my camera, I might have a bunch of photos of the same animal exhibit for example since I live next door to a zoo.  I'd love to name my consecutive photos  tigerleaping.jpg, tigerroaring.jpg, 2tigersroaring.jpg.  I've also had a big need for that type of fast consecutive renaming when finished with several versions of a website I want to keep after I've already given them generic names like version1, version2, version3 because they started as doodles.  Then I might want to save them like bluebackground.html, blbgroundgrayfont.html, etc with detailing designations.

Is there a demand for a product like this from others as well?

skwire:
Instead of using your mouse and the right-click menu, use the down-arrow key to select the next file followed by F2 to rename it.

MilesAhead:
I like the renamer in FreeCommander. If you have one file highlighted it works as skwire said, except it has the base name and extension on separate lines in a popup dialog. If you do want to rename the extension, hit tab and it moves into that edit line.  If you have more than one file selected, it brings up a more complicated dialog that can do pattern substitutions and numbering.  But it is less complicated than most dedicated rename apps such as Bulk Rename Utility(which I also use.) It's a good compromise between Explorer and a complex rename utility.  And it also does the other stuff expected of a file manager.

tomos:
Directory Opus allows you to rename a file - then use the down arrow while the first file still in "edit mode" - the next file in the list is now in edit mode.
When you first go into edit mode, the filename is selected (as opposed to the extension).

* Ctrl+E would select just the extension text.
* Right arrow would leave the cursor after the "dot" (before the ext)
* Left arrow would bring you to beginning of file name
(of course you pay nicely for the priviliges)

sajman99:
I'd love to see a program that on hitting the return key would then jump to the next file in the folder already in the rename function automatically.  If you hit enter without making a change the cycle would be ended.
-mateek (October 24, 2010, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ken Rename has a manual rename mode which operates in the manner indicated. Certainly not the fastest way to rename files, but I've used it on rare occasion when I cannot figure out how to accomplish a renaming task with Renamer.

Another possibility could be Oscar's File Renamer, :-\ but I've not used that particular tool in many years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version