topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Rename Next  (Read 5935 times)

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • NewPray.com - A description of a broken window for world peace, law proposals, prophecy explanations, conspiracies, and more.
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Rename Next
« on: October 24, 2010, 08:29 PM »
There are times when I have to name a bunch of individual files in a particular folder and often they are consecutive.  I'll typically right click to rename a certain file, type in the new designation, hit enter, and then mouse down to the next file and start the process again.  I'd love to see a program that on hitting the return key would then jump to the next file in the folder already in the rename function automatically.  If you hit enter without making a change the cycle would be ended.

For instance when I download a fresh batch of pictures out of my camera, I might have a bunch of photos of the same animal exhibit for example since I live next door to a zoo.  I'd love to name my consecutive photos  tigerleaping.jpg, tigerroaring.jpg, 2tigersroaring.jpg.  I've also had a big need for that type of fast consecutive renaming when finished with several versions of a website I want to keep after I've already given them generic names like version1, version2, version3 because they started as doodles.  Then I might want to save them like bluebackground.html, blbgroundgrayfont.html, etc with detailing designations.

Is there a demand for a product like this from others as well?

Stop war, change U.S. Politics, Kabbalah, my case modding, etc: My Website.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Rename Next
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:28 PM »
Instead of using your mouse and the right-click menu, use the down-arrow key to select the next file followed by F2 to rename it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 10:04 PM »
I like the renamer in FreeCommander. If you have one file highlighted it works as skwire said, except it has the base name and extension on separate lines in a popup dialog. If you do want to rename the extension, hit tab and it moves into that edit line.  If you have more than one file selected, it brings up a more complicated dialog that can do pattern substitutions and numbering.  But it is less complicated than most dedicated rename apps such as Bulk Rename Utility(which I also use.) It's a good compromise between Explorer and a complex rename utility.  And it also does the other stuff expected of a file manager.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Directory Opus allows you to rename a file - then use the down arrow while the first file still in "edit mode" - the next file in the list is now in edit mode.
When you first go into edit mode, the filename is selected (as opposed to the extension).
  • Ctrl+E would select just the extension text.
  • Right arrow would leave the cursor after the "dot" (before the ext)
  • Left arrow would bring you to beginning of file name

(of course you pay nicely for the priviliges)
Tom

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 02:47 PM »
I'd love to see a program that on hitting the return key would then jump to the next file in the folder already in the rename function automatically.  If you hit enter without making a change the cycle would be ended.

Ken Rename has a manual rename mode which operates in the manner indicated. Certainly not the fastest way to rename files, but I've used it on rare occasion when I cannot figure out how to accomplish a renaming task with Renamer.

Another possibility could be Oscar's File Renamer, :-\ but I've not used that particular tool in many years.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 07:34 PM »
One very nice thing about the rename dialog built into FreeCommander, if you have filenames with multiple extensions, like movie.srt.fixed or whatnot, all you need to do to chop the last extension is select all and hit F2.  In the extension box delete the [e] and hit the rename button.

I've found very few rename utils that make it easy to chop the last extension.

Here's a screen shot:

rename.png

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • NewPray.com - A description of a broken window for world peace, law proposals, prophecy explanations, conspiracies, and more.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 09:36 PM »
I'll have to try a few of these suggestions.  I've used a lot of varied renamers, but in the case where I don't want or need any (or barely any) similarity in the consecutive names, they all seem to actually make the task worse.  

skwire, thanks, as far as the arrow-down and F2, I'm stuck as a very mouse oriented type of computer user, for better or worse.  I guess it was the formative years type thing in a computer equivalent, but I seem fixed on the traditional keys for most things.  

What I was actually thinking of was something in the rt-clk context menu or as a tiny installed program I could go fetch out of a program list or folder.

sajman99, I use ReNamer a lot, love it for the big jobs.  tomos, Directory Opus...wow...$85 or something.  You weren't kidding!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:46 PM by mateek »

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 10:12 PM »
Skwire, I just ran into other probelms when I tried arrow-down.  I'd put a number in front of the filename as my first test, so as I hit 'return' the order of appearance in the folder jumped, and the arrow brought me to an unintended file.  I'm running Windows 7, and I'm thinking the completely highlighted prefix (the visible name without the extension) on the rename operation is a new thing.  Maybe there's a setting somewhere to change it.