ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Just when you thought all the good ideas were taken!

<< < (5/5)

MilesAhead:
A friend of mine had an idea for an automatic return to practice basketball free throws.  Looks like someone else developed a more elaborate version:

My friend's was just a hinged piece of wood with a catch to set it at a 45 degree angle below the bucket. Missing produced undefined results. :)

bob99:
1. standardize the basic remote control protocol (on/off, change channel, volume up/down, basic DVD controls like start pause, fat forward, etc).  Once in place and enough stuff follows it you have the joy of being able to use any remote control for the 99% of what you want.  If you need to program recordings or do picture-in-picture, then you'll have to dig up the remote for the particular unit.  But if you just want to watch something, off you go.  Oh, and when you buy a new universal remote (or need to change the batteries in the one you have), you may never have to bother with programming it.
--- End quote ---

It's not the the standardization of the remote codes, that would be too easy.
But I went to a Harmony remote the last time after one of the dogs got a hold of the sound system remote.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/universal-remotes
Even the lower end ones like I got are expensive but by the time you multiply the cost of the individual remotes and hassle of setting them up and keeping track of them... not so bad.  At least that was justification I used to talk myself into it.

MilesAhead:
Remotes with a zillion buttons on the top side have the built-in defect that pressing buttons low on the body with your thumb makes you lose your grip. You end up using 2 hands.  Somebody needs to think out of the box and design something you press with your fingers so the thumb stays anchored.

Either that or have a loop or thong built into it that's easy to slide your hand in when picking it up.  Press any button one-handed without dropping the thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version