topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Facebook, The vein of all our lives.  (Read 4722 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Facebook, The vein of all our lives.
« on: October 22, 2010, 09:17 PM »
Recently, I have noticed a whole lot of changes going on on Facebook which 90% of us seem to hate. (Pictures instead of words, countless privacy problems, changes to the theme that they never inform anybody about, and give you no choice other than to use it)...sort of feels like we are being led by a communist government while browsing the site.

My main question is, why do we still insist on using the site?

Is it because there is no other good option for what we do on facebook?

Perhaps its the ease of not having to register on another site?

Maybe its time for a change eh?

Anybody interested in making a new, social networking site, that doesn't make an ass of itself, and offers its users a chance to actually keep its setting how they where before, by adding cool new features, and giving the users the option to activate them, or keep the same, but if they do activate, give them a page to go back to previous versions/themes.

If so, inbox message me, this is something I have had in mind for quite some time.

No applications will be taken from anybody who wishes this site to make a crap load of money, and will be doing it for no other reason.  The only reason I wanna do this, is cause i am SICK TO DEATH of moaning about Facebook, and want to do something about it.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Facebook, The vein of all our lives.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 08:18 PM »
You'll run into the money problem. It takes a huge amount to get something like that off the ground. Just because you build it doesn't mean that they will come. Given the state of things now, you're looking at needing more money than I think anyone here has.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 08:25 PM »
You'll run into the money problem. It takes a huge amount to get something like that off the ground. Just because you build it doesn't mean that they will come. Given the state of things now, you're looking at needing more money than I think anyone here has.

Never said I was gonna build it :P

Was just willing to signup to the first site someone makes lol

And yeah, it will take more than money to get above Facebook now.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:39 PM »
So, how about using Diasporaw as the base?

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 12:47 PM »
So, how about using Diasporaw as the base?

BoonEx Dolphin is another good one, but not totally free.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 05:37 PM »
There is also Socnode, a proof of concept project for a distributed/decentralized social network.

This one was created in response to the purchase of friendfeed, by facebook. A lot of people weren't too happy with that, considered facebook to be the devil, and decided the time had come for the community to get together and roll their own.

Having just had our social home sold, the idea was to come up with something where that couldn't happen again, since no single entity would ever have that kind of control and ownership of the entire Socnode powered network. It also would make it a lot cheaper to run the network, since each user would own and host their own node, much in the same way that many people have their own Wordpress blogs. In fact, one of the ideas was to make a Wordpress plugin based on this, which would allow anyone to easily set up their own node on the network.

The project seems abandoned. I don't know if directeur has any plans on continuing development. The last statement from him about it was back in February, at which time he did say that he had plans on continuing work on it. But he has since allowed the socnode.org domain to expire. I had to do some digging to find the appspot site that the domain name was originally pointed to.

There is also a friendfeed group related to this project, although it has gone mostly dormant.

The code is here, released under a very generous open source license. If you want to continue development on this, fork it, port it, whatever, I think it would make a lot of people very happy.