ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

graphs software

<< < (2/3) > >>

widgewunner:
Whenever I need to graph something I reach for a spreadsheet. e.g. OpenOffice Calc.  The Calc program offers quite a few chart types: (e.g. column, bar, pie, area, line, XY scatter, Net, stock, column and line.) It takes a little bit of effort to learn how to get the graph looking like you want, but the results are pretty good. However, getting a decent .PNG file requires some trickery: long-story-short - first export the spreadsheet document as a PDF file then use a screen capture program to capture the image in the resolution you need by using the zoom function in the PDF display program. Below is an x-y line graph I threw together recently for some work I was doing over on the Drupal project...
graphs software
However, I understand that there is a new (better) fork of the OpenOffice project, since Oracle aquired Sun...
But as mouser suggested, there are probably better alternatives.

Curt:
, its google's first result-kalos (October 24, 2010, 05:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

-oh, you do use google?!

Darwin:
Excel or, as widgewunnder notes above, Calc (NB - OpenOffice has been rebranded LibreOffice) work well. There are also SoftMaker Office and Kingsoft Office, both of which have spreadsheet programs and both of which will graph data.

Standalone, dedicated graphing software, I'm not so aware of. I DO know that above and beyond Excel's built-in graphing capabilities there are a myriad of third-party add-ins for Excel that expand upon it.

app103:
I found something interesting today:

XML/SWF Charts:

XML/SWF Charts is a simple, yet powerful tool to create attractive charts and graphs from XML data.

Create an XML source to describe a chart, then pass it to this tool's flash file to generate the chart. The XML source can be prepared manually, or generated dynamically using any scripting language (PHP, ASP, CFML, Perl, etc.)

XML/SWF Charts makes the best of both the XML and SWF worlds. XML provides flexible data generation, and Flash provides the best graphic quality.
--- End quote ---

There is both a paid and free version, and it makes stuff that looks like this:

graphs software

Renegade:
Excel or, as widgewunnder notes above, Calc (NB - OpenOffice has been rebranded LibreOffice) work well. There are also SoftMaker Office and Kingsoft Office, both of which have spreadsheet programs and both of which will graph data.

Standalone, dedicated graphing software, I'm not so aware of. I DO know that above and beyond Excel's built-in graphing capabilities there are a myriad of third-party add-ins for Excel that expand upon it.
-Darwin (October 24, 2010, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

Excel/Calc are mature products with massive functionality. They've got years of improvements, so probably anything you want to do, they can do it and more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version