ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (39/181) > >>

Dormouse:
I first started with Desktop search progs with Alta Vista (can't remember what they called it)
-Dormouse (October 28, 2007, 07:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

AltaVista Discovery?  Here's a blog post on it.
-rjbull (October 29, 2007, 06:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's the one. Must be about nine or ten years ago now.
Have also tried the Windows Search Prog, but stopped that fairly quickly because it slowed my system.

yksyks:
Exalead allows selecting or excluding folders found after the search was performed, like this:

Regarding PST--mine almost always contains "errors", but so far I've never lost any data.

(Oops--where's the shadow I put to the picture in Screenshot Captor?)

Carol Haynes:
I am using Windows XP SP2/Outlook 2003 SP2 and Neo 3 (there is a 30 day trieal of Neo Pro and also freebie version at http://www.caelo.com/products/download.php). Would some kind soul download and try this with Outlook 2003 and then check their PST files with SCANPST after each use?
-Carol Haynes (October 30, 2007, 10:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have the time to check this tonight, but I might try in a few days...
I must say that when I use scanpst, it will show me errors half of the time. Outlook doesn't seem to have any problems with these errors though... For now, I've decided to accept these errors as an MS feature. These PST files always have errors. AS long as they show all my data...

Have your PST files shown any signs of data corruption? Or is it just scanpst showing errors?
-Armando (October 30, 2007, 08:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

It just seems to be when I run ScanPST. However I don't know if any data has been lost because some of the files I am using have so much content that without keeping a catalogue there is no way I can tell.

The problem is that Outlook doesn't seem to do any sort of consistency check at all on opening the file or on closing it. It strikes me that the design of the file structure is the cause for the problems as it is so slow to check validity and a major worry about data security and integrity. Email archives are some of the most important data files on my system and I worry that one day I will try to open an archive only for me to experience the problems frequently described on the MS usenet groups.

ScanPST is the only mechanism to check file integrity and its fixing methods are notoriously brutal to data - if there is a problem it just chops out the problem region of the file. The reporting of ScanPST is so cryptic it is almost impossible to know what it has actually done.

OK I know I can keep backups but I like to feel that using an application on a day to day basis isn't going to trash my data!

Out of curiosity how do you have Outlook set up (version, service pack version and extra plugins or apps that interact with Outlook, desktop search utility and how it is set up WRT Outlook).

If you do get a chance to try out Neo it would be really useful as if you experience the same problem as me I have some evidence to support a bug/issue report.

rjbull:
The problem is that Outlook doesn't seem to do any sort of consistency check at all on opening the file or on closing it. It strikes me that the design of the file structure is the cause for the problems as it is so slow to check validity and a major worry about data security and integrity. Email archives are some of the most important data files on my system and I worry that one day I will try to open an archive only for me to experience the problems frequently described on the MS usenet groups.
-Carol Haynes (October 31, 2007, 04:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know you went through the excercise of looking at other e-mail clients, only to come back to Outlook.  But if you're ultimately worried about Outlook's long-term integrity, is is worth reconsidering?

f0dder:
Is ScanPST a Microsoft or a 3rd-party tool, Carol?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version