ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (33/181) > >>

Dormouse:
After the comments here, I thought I'd look at Archivarius. Installed it and then saw the option to estimate the Index size. Still analysing but showing an index of 80GB on data of 216 GB. Can this be right (I notice that the stats previously given seem much more reasonable)? Don't think I will ever run it if it is.

Darwin:
Hi Dormouse - no, that's not right. I had the same reaction when I first ran a trial (I'd forgotten abou this). As I recall the index was going to be on the order of 6 or 7 GB for 80 GB of data but came in at well under a GB. There's an index compression feature as well, which is useful because the index size does creep up over time.

Dormouse:
Hi Dormouse - no, that's not right.
-Darwin (October 21, 2007, 03:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's good as the estimate ended up at 205GB. ;D
I have run it now, only to hit the 10,000 file limit of the unregistered version, which really isn't big enough for me to assess the prog.

I have also noticed that the search seems to return each usage of the search word rather than each document/file that it is in; I'd like to change that but haven't found the switch to do that yet.

Darwin:
Just to close the door on the false-positive saga, Sophos has written back to confirm that the Archivarius 3000 exe is "clean".

Dormouse - the author is very helpful, drop him a line with feature requests, suggestions, and questions. I suppose we should all be contacting him about the index file size estimate being so off. I've never mentioned it and it's persisted through numerous builds. Right, off to do that now!

Ralf Maximus:
FWIW, it never triggered any alarms over here.

I use NOD32.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version