ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (17/181) > >>

Laughing Man:
I don't mind GDS.. I just hate how it requires to open a browser to see the results. And Google Desktop Extreme doesn't work that well (a front end for the search results).

At the link you provided there's no checkmark for the Vista search (which is what my laptop has). Would it still be compatible?

Mandork:
At the link you provided there's no checkmark for the Vista search (which is what my laptop has). Would it still be compatible?
-Laughing Man (July 30, 2007, 08:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

That I don't know, I'm afraid.  I haven't switched to Vista so I tend to ignore anything Vista-related. 

I thought that Vista was supposed to include the same functionality as WDS on XP?  Does it not index Tbird and what have you?  How lame...

Laughing Man:
Dunno, it does have its own section in the checklist. Anyway I installed Copernic and I'm using it on my desktop and laptop now. On my desktop it sits with GDS (yep I got both). On my laptop it replaced my GDS since I really don't like using a browser just to see my results. But I left the WDS in.

Shame the Google sidebar had to go though. I really liked it. But the Windows sidebar works I guess. Now I need to figure out how to control Windows indexing frequency.

Edit: Fixed grammar.

Darwin:
X1 v.6 is in beta and will be released both as a free, functionally limited version and as shareware ($50). If they manage to tame the beast a bit and resolve the Outlook issues that I've noted in the past, I might be tempted to go back, at least on my wife's notebook. I'm still liking Archivarius a lot. It's not as slick as the other players, especially X1, but I love it's small footprint and speed.

jdd:
Are you sure X1 is free?  I thought those days were over; 50 bucks. :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version