topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Which Desktop Search Tool(s) do you use? (Choose up to 2)

Google Desktop Search
15 (6.2%)
Copernic Desktop Search
36 (14.9%)
MSN Windows Desktop Search
15 (6.2%)
Yahoo Desktop Search
4 (1.7%)
X1 Desktop Search
24 (9.9%)
Locate
40 (16.5%)
Archivarius
14 (5.8%)
other...
61 (25.2%)
none / no comment
33 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Last post Author Topic: What is the currently best Desktop Search software?  (Read 761541 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What is the currently best Desktop Search software?
« Reply #850 on: September 14, 2015, 11:19 PM »
Seems good to me.
For "Morphology" I have English and French.
For the encoding, it's similar to your screenshots, bit with event less checked options.
All inheritance settings are checked.

I really wonder why accented letters are causing problems in your case.

gt13013

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #851 on: September 14, 2015, 11:33 PM »
Thanks.
Same here for Morphology:
Morphology.pngWhat is the currently best Desktop Search software?

I will probably contact the author of Archivarius in order to try to solve my problem.

gt13013

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #852 on: September 14, 2015, 11:40 PM »
I have found my error. I was using the same syntax as with X1, but it does not work the same in Archivarius.
I was searching for
unusualword ecz
instead of
unusualword ecz*

I will update my Excel file soon.

Thanks Armando and Jibz !

gt13013

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #853 on: September 15, 2015, 12:17 AM »

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #854 on: September 15, 2015, 12:38 AM »
Thanks for the update :up:.

ndt98

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #855 on: December 16, 2015, 03:18 AM »
Hello, i am a mainframe system engineer, i store all the technical papers, manuals ... on my PC.    i need a desktop search software to be able to search a string in thousand of files, so i need a software to index the contents (essentially in office and pdf formats) without size limitation.
I started with CDS (Copernic) , but the indexing processus ends abnormally , contacted the support, they said that i have to exclude some files ...; not a ggod tool
I changed to X1 : very happy, quick , fast , reliable but then i discover that some string are not found and the support tells me that  there is a file size limitation of 2Mb (due to the Oracle engine behind)
Thanks to the forum, I have to try now dtsearch or archivarius, archivarius license is very affordable (25 instead of 200 USD for dtsearch) so i normally will go with it if the test is ok

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #856 on: December 16, 2015, 03:48 AM »
For years, I'm basically very happy with Archivarius.

It is doing hundreds of thousands of files both locally and on a network server without a hiccup. Preferably, the index should be located on a local SSD, this makes search about 10 times more responsive.

What's more, the support usually is fast and helpful.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #857 on: December 16, 2015, 06:00 PM »
I don't use Archivarius, but it is most likely more than enough just for finding text in a large number of files.

dtSearch is probably more flexible, with advanced indexing and search options and an index manager that lets you define multiple indexes according to how your data is stored, combine multiple indexes into libraries and search across them.  In addition to boolean searches, it allows for word stemming, phonics and fuzzy searches, and can use a thesaurus to include synonyms in searches.  It also displays pdf files using a reader plug-in and can even highlight found words inside pdfs if you use the Adobe Reader plug-in.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #858 on: December 16, 2015, 10:04 PM »
I don't use Archivarius, but it is most likely more than enough just for finding text in a large number of files.

dtSearch is probably more flexible, with advanced indexing and search options and an index manager that lets you define multiple indexes according to how your data is stored, combine multiple indexes into libraries and search across them.  In addition to boolean searches, it allows for word stemming, phonics and fuzzy searches, and can use a thesaurus to include synonyms in searches.  It also displays pdf files using a reader plug-in and can even highlight found words inside pdfs if you use the Adobe Reader plug-in.

Archivarius allows multiple indexes too, with various configurations, etc.

ndt98:

If your file type is supported, dtSearch is generally better for detailed or complex search as it supports regex.

That said, Archivarius has its strengths too (e.g. more supported file types, treatment of hyphens etc. is more intuitive or elegant, etc.) and I use it to double check certain things when I'm not sure dtSearch is getting everything it should.

Comparing the features list is a must.

umeca74

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #859 on: December 24, 2015, 04:36 AM »
may I recommend DeskRule, now with its unique desktop detective mode? :)
see for the latest beta http://netez.com/bbs...php?f=18&t=11066
it uses the windows search index so it can do the usual PDF/DOC easy

mojope

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #860 on: February 02, 2016, 04:48 AM »
Hi,

I am working for Exselo. We have just released (February 1st) our 2.0 version of Exselo Desktop. It is 100% free with no limitations, and should be of help for many. No file size limitations, fast and even have a collaboration mode to  share information securely with colleagues or friends. This is of course possible to turn off, and you will then have a local desktop search product only.

Feel free to read more about it, download and try it out from our web page: Exselo Web Page

Regards,

Mojope

PS! With this release we published our new downloader. It is still brand new, so you might receive a warning from some browsers that the file is unknown, and you have to forcibly make your browser download the file.

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #861 on: February 02, 2016, 06:15 AM »
Exselo Desktop looks like it is Outlook-Based on all screenshots. So is this actually a DESKTOP search app at all?

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #862 on: February 03, 2016, 09:00 PM »
Exselo Desktop looks like it is Outlook-Based on all screenshots. So is this actually a DESKTOP search app at all?

Looks like it's a desktop search tool combined with an Outlook-based collaboration tool. While it looks like it would technically work as a desktop search tool it seems like doing that would be akin to using Directory Opus solely as an image viewer.

mojope

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #863 on: February 09, 2016, 05:04 AM »
The main Exselo Desktop program/tool is desktop based, but there is an Outlook add-in to access the tool from within Outlook. The reason for that is that people find that Exselo Desktop do a better/quicker job than the search feature inside of Outlook to find Outlook items, and wanted to be able to access Exselo Desktop while inside of Outlook.

Then again, with the latest release, adding the possibility to share parts of your search index and folder with people you invite, you have the possibility to allow them to do a distributed peer-to-peer search towards your information and vice versa if they have shared information with you. No longer just a private Desktop Search tool, you have the option to collaborate with friends and colleagues by easily share your index and files.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #864 on: February 11, 2016, 01:49 AM »
Thanks for the info! Looks interesting.

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #865 on: February 21, 2016, 02:00 PM »
This was a VERY long post so i barely skimmed it and i am sure somewhere on it is "Everything" by Void-tools?  Does anyone have a specific reason why it would not be a good Desktop Search as it is the only alternative to Windows I have found to be reliable.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #866 on: February 21, 2016, 03:04 PM »
"Everything" is great for searching file names and file extensions, but it does not search inside files (such as PDF, MS Word etc.), when you're looking for specific content.

tn_dang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #867 on: February 22, 2016, 09:44 AM »
It does now in version 1.4.  However, the file content is not indexed.

jity2

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #868 on: February 28, 2016, 10:53 AM »
I have made the test explained here :
https://www.dropbox....ation_test3.zip?dl=0

And it is a complete failure for Archivarius. Here is the updated spreadsheet with Archivarius results:
https://www.dropbox....ation_test3.xls?dl=0

I have just sent you my tests with your files on Dtsearch and Google Drive.

Dtsearch.jpgWhat is the currently best Desktop Search software?

Google Drive.jpgWhat is the currently best Desktop Search software?

I let someone else do the test on Office365.

For my part, even if their indexing is not yet perfect (no indexing inside zip files (same for indexing zip files inside zip files!) or .eml (it can be done into gmail) or files without extension...), I am more and more storing my unzipped files (converted - so they doesn't count as storage) in Google Drive (1TB).
I am in the process of trying to convert my html archives into Word 2013 .docx as I like its conversion results (it seems to nicely keep images and urls). I am not sure yet if I will convert all my pdf into gdocs (Drive pdf limits + result is not very good in my small tests), but who knows !
Now, I have about 200,000 files into Google Drive. I wonder if their GUI will still responds fastly with >1 million files !
Basically, I have added all my old Outlook Express emails into gmail. Personal photos and videos with Google Photos (ok not for professional photographers but it is fine for my tastes). Mp3 into Google Music (it is not my case by far but 50,000 files max is the limit - my guess it would represent about around 200GB max).
One can also adds their video (with private settings) into Youtube for free !
It is incredible what one can store quite cheaply into Google nowadays (I know 'I am the product'!)

I also keep dtsearch for more powerful desktop searches. ;)

Hope this helps ;)
See ya ;)

ps: my previous test comparing different indexing softwares :
https://www.donation....msg373414#msg373414
https://www.donation....msg373068#msg373068
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:05 PM by jity2 »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #869 on: February 28, 2016, 01:37 PM »
It is incredible what one can store quite cheaply into Google nowadays

Yes, but how do you back those up, if the unthinkable happens, and due to some malfunction on Google's side they lose all your files?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #870 on: February 28, 2016, 01:45 PM »

Yes, but how do you back those up, if the unthinkable happens, and due to some malfunction on Google's side they lose all your files?

Class action lawsuit against google

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #871 on: February 28, 2016, 02:49 PM »
I did come across this backup option recently for Google data, but it's manual, so not perfect...

Move your Google data to OneDrive or Dropbox directly - gHacks Tech News

gt13013

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #872 on: February 28, 2016, 05:12 PM »
I have just sent you my tests with your files on Dtsearch and Google Drive.
OK, thank you. I have incorporated your tests inside my Excel file http://goo.gl/NKHEor

jity2

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #873 on: February 29, 2016, 01:22 AM »

Hi,

Good question. I have explained here how I do automatic backups of my Google data (Gmail + Drive+ folder in Drive for Google Photo+ calendar) : https://www.donation....msg391828#msg391828
The most difficult part when doing backups is the restore one. So do some tests yourself !

I also recommend the manual backup of Google Take out. They have options for Google Drive : you can zip one or all Google Drive folders and transfer them as a zip file in Dropbox (or..) without downloading the zip on your computer. ;)

For "gt13013":
Sorry for my bad formatting. I have tried to make my tests very seriously but I guess you deserve more info :
The first dtsearch test is with the exact keywords that you provided a) b)...etc
I also added " means your help readme  files founds (not tested on every rows - only 6 - sorry!)". I have colored some cells on only 6 rows if it found "Readme36.doc" and "Readme36.pdf" files.
You may may remove it for clarity if you want to.

In the second one I modified the a) b) so Dtsearch understands what I want to search : so the syntax of the keyword are slightly modified.

Probably column "AS" should be moved to column "BA for instance".

The first GOOGLE DRIVE test is with the exact files that are in your zip folder once unzipped (no file is converted to Google Document).
I didn't have time to add the correct numbers in all cells on that part. Please add them. Thanks. ;)

Also I let the cell with numbers blank instead of color them in orange.

Hope this helps ;)

gt13013

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #874 on: February 29, 2016, 04:33 AM »
Sorry for my bad formatting. I have tried to make my tests very seriously but I guess you deserve more info :
The first dtsearch test is with the exact keywords that you provided a) b)...etc
I also added " means your help readme  files founds (not tested on every rows - only 6 - sorry!)". I have colored some cells on only 6 rows if it found "Readme36.doc" and "Readme36.pdf" files.
You may may remove it for clarity if you want to.

In the second one I modified the a) b) so Dtsearch understands what I want to search : so the syntax of the keyword are slightly modified.

Probably column "AS" should be moved to column "BA for instance".

The first GOOGLE DRIVE test is with the exact files that are in your zip folder once unzipped (no file is converted to Google Document).
I didn't have time to add the correct numbers in all cells on that part. Please add them. Thanks. ;)

Also I let the cell with numbers blank instead of color them in orange.

Hope this helps ;)

OK, I have modified a little bit the formating. I hope it is more clear now.
In my mind, blank cells are for tests that have not been made, green for successful tests, and orange for failed tests.
Note that the Excel file http://goo.gl/NKHEor is part of this web page where I report my experience since many years (but in French):
http://goo.gl/8YTpIL