ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (163/181) > >>

Armando:
AgentRansack beats them all
and its free...https://www.mythicsoft.com/
-vmars316 (January 18, 2015, 05:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

In terms of speed and accuracy for file content search, how does AgentRansack (AKA filelocator) compare to DtSearch, Archivarius and the like ?

x16wda:
Agent Ransack does not build or maintain an index, it searches on the fly. So it can be accurate (at least when I've used it) but don't expect results fast if you're looking through a lot of stuff. It's most useful if you can narrow down the best place to look.

tomos:
Agent Ransack does not build or maintain an index, it searches on the fly. So it can be accurate (at least when I've used it) but don't expect results fast if you're looking through a lot of stuff. It's most useful if you can narrow down the best place to look.
-x16wda (January 19, 2015, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

as an aside, I see they have a very generous license:
free version is also available for commercial use. (Obviously well worth the requested single user 'supporter package' for 10$ if you use it.)

Armando:
-x16wda (January 19, 2015, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. That's what I thought as I previewed FileLocator many years ago... Was wondering because of the unconditional love it's getting.
I'll stick to indexed content. Updating an index, if done relatively regularly, is fast enough.

rmanning4:
I use this everyday, both at work and at home.

X1's Lightning-Fast Search Software is the Premium Alternative to Windows Desktop and Outlook Search.

X1's award winning, easy-to-use interface simplifies the way business professionals search and act upon desktop files, emails, attachments, SharePoint data, and more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version