topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Which Desktop Search Tool(s) do you use? (Choose up to 2)

Google Desktop Search
15 (6.2%)
Copernic Desktop Search
36 (14.9%)
MSN Windows Desktop Search
15 (6.2%)
Yahoo Desktop Search
4 (1.7%)
X1 Desktop Search
24 (9.9%)
Locate
40 (16.5%)
Archivarius
14 (5.8%)
other...
61 (25.2%)
none / no comment
33 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Last post Author Topic: What is the currently best Desktop Search software?  (Read 761392 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What is the currently best Desktop Search software?
« Reply #800 on: January 14, 2015, 02:57 PM »
my tests results so far comparing : Copernic Desktop Search vs. X1 Search vs. Dtsearch vs. Archivarius 3000 (limited to 10,000 files due to trial limit).
I tested them on only : one of my archive folder (year 2008) + one folder containing some emails (.eml) + one folder containing some big pdf files and one .epub file).

Cool. This mirrors my own findings.

Archivarius would probably come close to DtSearch in terms of speed and accuracy. Actually, Archivarius sometimes does a better jobs with more complex expressions. Since you used only one term, not a group of words, Archivarius space and hyphen treatment doesn't show here. That's why I combine both -- DtSearch and Archivarius. (Archivarius was pretty cheap when I bought it... many years ago. Never had to pay any upgrade since then.)

That said,  when it comes to sheer power, DtSearch works best.
Hopefully, one day the DtSearch team will implement some of X1's neat features (DtSearch doesn't allow as many actions on found items as X1 does).

(Note that I still use Windows Desktop search to index Outlook stuff. That's because I can integrate it with Find and Run Robot, which makes searching emails, calendar, etc. a breeze.)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #801 on: January 14, 2015, 03:03 PM »
FileSearchy is another one to keep in mind. It can search both file names and their contents and order them by the number of matches ("relevance") and show the density of matches within each document (besides other filtering options). It was a while ago I compared them but I think I preferred FileSearchy to DocFetcher (I think the search was more complete or something along those lines).

Does FileSearchy need to index file content (how does the content search work) ?

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #802 on: January 14, 2015, 04:01 PM »
The dtSearch search engine is available for Windows (.NET) and Linux developers to include in their own applications. The developer's license is pretty pricey at $9,995 (going up to $12,495 on February 1, 2015) per application.  It is royalty-free, but does not allow use in general purpose applications, so you can't use it to build a program that would compete with dtSearch Desktop.

It's interesting that the engine is available for Linux but dtSearch does not sell a desktop Linux application.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #803 on: January 15, 2015, 01:43 PM »
Does FileSearchy need to index file content (how does the content search work) ?

It looks like it. When I launch it, for a minute or so there is a little indicator in the bottom left corner that says "indexing". Then it says "Index: ready."

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #804 on: January 15, 2015, 06:29 PM »
I don't have too much trouble finding files on my file system since a name search usually nets me what I want and XYplorer does a fine job with that.

However, I use Outlook for email, both at home and at work, and I had major problems finding things there.  I don't do much mailbox organization - I'll stash messages that I *know* I'll need later - like purchase receipts and such - into appropriate folders, but general conversation threads and most other email typically just stays in my inbox.

But Outlook's built-in search is awful, so I sprung for Neo (Nelson E-Mail Organizer) Pro, which has been a major improvement even if its interface is clunky. The ugly interface doesn't bother me much since I can now find what I'm looking for instantly.

So if you're in the same boat as me (file system searches aren't a problem, but Outlook/Exchange searches are), take a look at Neo Pro. They have a generous trial (I forget how long it was, but it was more than 30 days).  I sprung for the standard $50 license, which is good for two machines, but they also have a subscription model that I was surprised to find tempting - $5 a month for all their products on all your machines.  In the end I decided that all I really wanted was the Neo product on two machines, so $50 once was better than $60 a year for me.

They also have a Neo Find product, which is some sort of subset of Neo Pro for $20 for one machine.  I probably should have gone for two Neo Find licenses for $40, but I was too lazy to trial Neo Find to make sure it wasn't missing something I'd need, so I just bought the Pro license.

- http://www.emailorganizer.com/

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #805 on: January 15, 2015, 08:24 PM »

It looks like it. When I launch it, for a minute or so there is a little indicator in the bottom left corner that says "indexing". Then it says "Index: ready."

Thanks

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #806 on: January 16, 2015, 01:21 AM »

Thanks

From looking at the webpage, I get the impression it maintains an index of all filenames for quick filename search. I think it may still be doing regular content search.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #807 on: January 16, 2015, 06:20 AM »
I think it may still be doing regular content search.

Oh, yeah, searching the content is not instant, it does take time to get the results for a sizeable folder full of large PDF docs for instance, so it's probably not indexed then, which might be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what you prefer.

I also have Copernic 3.7, which is supposed to index when the PC is idle, but especially in recent weeks I've been finding that it does it all the time and it takes up a huge amount of RAM (1.2GB at the moment, so I'm shutting it down), and started to crash often. I don't know why it started to behave like that recently... I rarely use it for search, but it's been a constant drain on resources, so I might just have to disable it permanently. So for me the FileSearchy approach probably makes more sense.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #808 on: January 16, 2015, 10:38 AM »
I rarely use it for search, but it's been a constant drain on resources, so I might just have to disable it permanently. So for me the FileSearchy approach probably makes more sense.

Many desktop search tool can update their index only at specific time or manually ; Archivarius, DtSearch are  2 of them.

vmars316

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • vmars316
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #809 on: January 18, 2015, 05:27 PM »
AgentRansack beats them all
and its free...https://www.mythicsoft.com/
"All things in moderation, except for love and forgiveness."

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #810 on: January 18, 2015, 10:56 PM »
AgentRansack beats them all
and its free...https://www.mythicsoft.com/

In terms of speed and accuracy for file content search, how does AgentRansack (AKA filelocator) compare to DtSearch, Archivarius and the like ?

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #811 on: January 19, 2015, 10:29 AM »
Agent Ransack does not build or maintain an index, it searches on the fly. So it can be accurate (at least when I've used it) but don't expect results fast if you're looking through a lot of stuff. It's most useful if you can narrow down the best place to look.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #812 on: January 19, 2015, 11:05 AM »
Agent Ransack does not build or maintain an index, it searches on the fly. So it can be accurate (at least when I've used it) but don't expect results fast if you're looking through a lot of stuff. It's most useful if you can narrow down the best place to look.

as an aside, I see they have a very generous license:
free version is also available for commercial use. (Obviously well worth the requested single user 'supporter package' for 10$ if you use it.)
Tom

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #813 on: January 19, 2015, 11:55 AM »

Thanks. That's what I thought as I previewed FileLocator many years ago... Was wondering because of the unconditional love it's getting.
I'll stick to indexed content. Updating an index, if done relatively regularly, is fast enough.

rmanning4

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #814 on: January 19, 2015, 07:12 PM »
I use this everyday, both at work and at home.

X1's Lightning-Fast Search Software is the Premium Alternative to Windows Desktop and Outlook Search.

X1's award winning, easy-to-use interface simplifies the way business professionals search and act upon desktop files, emails, attachments, SharePoint data, and more.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #815 on: January 19, 2015, 08:51 PM »
I use this everyday, both at work and at home.

X1's Lightning-Fast Search Software is the Premium Alternative to Windows Desktop and Outlook Search.

X1's award winning, easy-to-use interface simplifies the way business professionals search and act upon desktop files, emails, attachments, SharePoint data, and more.

X1 has shortcomings though. See https://www.donation....msg373198#msg373198  and https://www.donation....msg373217#msg373217

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #816 on: January 29, 2015, 05:00 PM »
Agreed - I have really fond memories of X1 from 2001 through about 2008/9, at which point I began searching for alternatives. Every so often, I give the latest version a whirl, most recently this past fall (October? November?). I still find it quite slow and that it has a noticeable impact on my computer (i7 notebook with 4GB dedicated video memory and 32GB RAM running two SSD drives). Thus, it never lasts long... I use the built in Windows Search for just about everything and have dtSearch installed and updated for more complex searches. Like Armando, I have a license for Archivarius but find that I don't need it with dtSearch installed. I settled on dtSearch for my own use because as much as I love Archivarius I find that it's index get larger and larger over time. Haven't had it installed in a couple of years, though, might be time to revisit it. dtSearch has better previewers as well (or did; don't know about today).

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #817 on: January 29, 2015, 09:11 PM »
Howdy, Mr. Darwin. Long time no see.

Thank you for the very concise yet very comprehensive review of your search programs.  :-)

It sounds like you have a monster machine there, and for X1 to be able to slow it down is really saying something!

Thanks.

Jim

motiontwelve

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #818 on: January 29, 2015, 09:32 PM »
I have probably tried all of the local desktop search tools and nothing compares to X1.
Speed, beautiful previews using Oracle Outside In (acquired from Stellent), stability.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #819 on: January 30, 2015, 12:11 AM »
I have probably tried all of the local desktop search tools and nothing compares to X1.
Speed, beautiful previews using Oracle Outside In (acquired from Stellent), stability.

I you read some of the earlier posts, you'll see that X1 isn't that great in terms of precision and "exhaustivity". It has many qualities, but it still misses some important ones.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #820 on: January 30, 2015, 12:11 AM »
Agreed - I have really fond memories of X1 from 2001 through about 2008/9, at which point I began searching for alternatives. Every so often, I give the latest version a whirl, most recently this past fall (October? November?). I still find it quite slow and that it has a noticeable impact on my computer (i7 notebook with 4GB dedicated video memory and 32GB RAM running two SSD drives). Thus, it never lasts long... I use the built in Windows Search for just about everything and have dtSearch installed and updated for more complex searches. Like Armando, I have a license for Archivarius but find that I don't need it with dtSearch installed. I settled on dtSearch for my own use because as much as I love Archivarius I find that it's index get larger and larger over time. Haven't had it installed in a couple of years, though, might be time to revisit it. dtSearch has better previewers as well (or did; don't know about today).

Hi Darwin!  :) [Sorry, I'm being off topic, but Darwin is certainly my best desktop search friend.]

isavji

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #821 on: February 19, 2015, 05:42 PM »
I've been using Copernic and X1 trials, but I can't seem to do an EXACT word search. Let's say I search keyword, results will still show [email protected]. I've tried every single combination of double quotes, single quotes and = signs but no luck.
My intent is to view documents that contain BOTH at least one instance of: keyword and @keyword.com. I can filter out the keyword.com just fine but getting both results are hard.

Any ideas? Any other programs that will do this?

twinkler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • technophobic technophile
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #822 on: March 22, 2015, 10:12 PM »
The creator of xplorer2 just released DeskRule, a new desktop search tool. The bottom of the product page has a comparison to Windows Search, Everything, Filelocator Pro, X1 Search, and Copernic. After the free trial, it costs $40.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #823 on: March 22, 2015, 11:08 PM »
Looks interesting.

Thanks for the heads-up and link!

Jim

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #824 on: March 22, 2015, 11:15 PM »
The creator of xplorer2 just released DeskRule, a new desktop search tool. The bottom of the product page has a comparison to Windows Search, Everything, Filelocator Pro, X1 Search, and Copernic. After the free trial, it costs $40.

Yes, seems like an intelligent approach to the problem: use what's there (Windows Search) and make it better (Advanced boolean searches, Regular expression support, backup search mode, search customization... ). When I'll have time, I'll have a look at it -- promising!