ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (162/181) > >>

Armando:
Does FileSearchy need to index file content (how does the content search work) ?
-Armando (January 14, 2015, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

It looks like it. When I launch it, for a minute or so there is a little indicator in the bottom left corner that says "indexing". Then it says "Index: ready."
-dr_andus (January 15, 2015, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks

Jibz:
Does FileSearchy need to index file content (how does the content search work) ?
-Armando (January 14, 2015, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

It looks like it. When I launch it, for a minute or so there is a little indicator in the bottom left corner that says "indexing". Then it says "Index: ready."
-dr_andus (January 15, 2015, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks
-Armando (January 15, 2015, 08:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

From looking at the webpage, I get the impression it maintains an index of all filenames for quick filename search. I think it may still be doing regular content search.

dr_andus:
I think it may still be doing regular content search.
-Jibz (January 16, 2015, 01:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, yeah, searching the content is not instant, it does take time to get the results for a sizeable folder full of large PDF docs for instance, so it's probably not indexed then, which might be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what you prefer.

I also have Copernic 3.7, which is supposed to index when the PC is idle, but especially in recent weeks I've been finding that it does it all the time and it takes up a huge amount of RAM (1.2GB at the moment, so I'm shutting it down), and started to crash often. I don't know why it started to behave like that recently... I rarely use it for search, but it's been a constant drain on resources, so I might just have to disable it permanently. So for me the FileSearchy approach probably makes more sense.

Armando:
I rarely use it for search, but it's been a constant drain on resources, so I might just have to disable it permanently. So for me the FileSearchy approach probably makes more sense.
-dr_andus (January 16, 2015, 06:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Many desktop search tool can update their index only at specific time or manually ; Archivarius, DtSearch are  2 of them.

vmars316:
AgentRansack beats them all
and its free...https://www.mythicsoft.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version