ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (150/181) > >>

Armando:
That's a significant difference !  :)

Darwin:
That's a significant difference !  :)
-Armando (October 18, 2010, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup  :)

On the downside, NOTHING I do will induce WS 4.0 to index my Documents. I've created a dummy docx document containing the single word "Grunties" and saved it on my desktop. WS 4.0. had it indexed and searchable within a minute (my user profile, including the desktop, are on a secondary partition). I moved it to my Documents folder on the same partition and it is gone, as far as WS is concerned the Documents folder simply does not exist. I'm losing my mind...

Armando:
This is really weird. You're on Vista or Windows 7 ?
In any case, If I was you I'd rename/delete the WDS index folder before going to bed, see if it recreates another one during the night. Unless there's an option to start from scratch (before going to bed too, of course.  :))

Darwin:
Heh, heh - I traced the problem (and fixed it!) to a cleared radio button:

I had to enable the highlighted option and all is well... It's a bit counter-intuitive because a search now shows up ALL of my documents and they have clearly been indexed.

mwang:
That doesn't seem right. Turning that option on tells WDS to conduct full-text search for non-indexed files. If a document's content is found only when the option is on, IOW, it's not indexed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version