ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (135/181) > >>

markfoley:
Archivarius is great though, and compared to things like DtSearch is cheap as chips for all the files it supports.  I use it for full text indexing, and search by filename with 'everything' which is fantastic and free.

nolyc:

--- End quote ---
You can try  Detalizer - tag based file manager (shareware)

m9833:
Aduna AutoFocus is no longer free and "open source". Does anyone know where the last free version can be downloaded from?

dspelley:
I've tried many desktop search programs and was going to give Archivarius a try based on comments I've read in this thread. However, when looking at the Features page on their website, it does not show support for MS Office 2007 documents and email.

Does anyone know if it can index the Office Open XML format and Outlook 2007 email that I use here at my workplace? 

Thanks for your help.

J-Mac:
Amazing. This thread has now been rolling along for more than three and a half years, since February 12, 2006. There are 674 posts in this thread, not counting this one. According to the label at the start of the thread, it has been read 122,268 times.

And yet there are only 157 total votes...  and 26 are "None / No Comment"!!

It's a shame, really, that with all the posts, all the discussion, all the ranting (including me here and now!), we still don't have even a hint as to what the favorite desktop search engine is among DC users, let alone the "best" one.

Just for grins and giggles, here are the results to date, in order of votes received:

#1  Other - 37 votes, 19.8%
#2  Copernic Desktop Search - 35 votes, 18.7%
#3  Locate - 34 votes, 18.2%
#4  None / No Comment - 26 votes, 13.9%
#5  X1 Desktop Search - 20 votes, 10.7%
#6  Archivarius - 12 votes, 6.4%  (tie)
#6  Google Desktop Search - 12 votes, 6.4%  (tie)
#7  MSN Windows Desktop Search - 8 votes, 4.3%  (MSN??)
#8  Yahoo Desktop Search - 3 votes, 1.6%  (No longer in existence!)

So we will apparently never resolve the subject question here at DC. And at least a couple of the most popular, from what I have read and observed here, are not even on the ballot! (Everything and FARR).

Just something that makes you go, "Hmmmm... "     ;)   8)

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version