ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (126/181) > >>

rjbull:
File Managers

Perhaps a few of those are fast and strong, I mentioned Total Commander is slow, Xyplorer might be fast.  One of the reasons for this summary was that for most of us the file managers will be chosen on other criteria.  However if a few are truly top-notch on "find files" it would be worth a note. Personally I would be more likely to switch to that file manager. 
-Steven Avery (March 10, 2009, 10:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Total Commander is an excellent file manager and my most-used one, but it's true I prefer XYPlorer (registered) for unindexed file searching on the company network.   XY has a nice free version too.  But don't forget that you can have (more or less) the best of both worlds with TC by using the FSE plug-in, which integrates Locate32 into TC.

saintsatinstain:
Exalead Desktop free?

nudone:
I have now removed locate and use Everything almost exclusively.

The only problem I have with "Everything" is that it doesn't seem to be able to cope with removing external drives.
-Carol Haynes (March 10, 2009, 04:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

i'm been using Everything for a few weeks - i never really got on with any other of the search programs.

what's the problem with the external drives? are you wanting the drives indexed when they are connected or just not indexed at all?

widgewunner:
PowerGrep - For those of us who depend upon the power of regular expressions to "express" ourselves, nothing else (that I am aware of) even comes close. Yes, its expensive - and worth every penny.

That said, what the hell is "Desktop Search Software" anyway? Did you lose something?

Darwin:
That said, what the hell is "Desktop Search Software" anyway? Did you lose something?
-widgewunner (April 18, 2009, 10:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D The icon for the recycle bin  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version