ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (121/181) > >>

J-Mac:
I upgraded recently to their 2009 version and started a new database fresh, so I had to tag them all again.
-J-Mac (February 10, 2009, 05:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Doesn't ACDSee let you save your tags into EXIF or IPTC, so that they never need to be re-entered (even if you switched over to a competing product)?
-CWuestefeld (February 10, 2009, 05:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, but not necessarily their tags. I do have specific keywords saved in the IPTC data but the database optimization feature of my previous version of ACDSee went haywire and garbled everything - and their support is, well, not very supportive. That actually sent me looking hard for an alternative, but there really isn't anything else out there that compares IMO.

Jim

Dormouse:
Yeah, I don't know how professional photographers deal with all their photos.  Especially when they come back with hundreds of photos per session.  I'm sure someone has figured out a way of doing it.  I don't have that many photos, but if I did, I would almost have to use some kind of tagging system that had thumbnails in the cache so I can see a group of pictures very quickly.-superboyac (February 10, 2009, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Aperture, Lightroom, iView, idImager, iMatch

Using the program to view, discard, rate and tag. Some pros claim to process each photo in a matter of seconds. And some people use some of these progs for tweaking the photos.

J-Mac:
Yeah, I don't know how professional photographers deal with all their photos.  Especially when they come back with hundreds of photos per session.  I'm sure someone has figured out a way of doing it.  I don't have that many photos, but if I did, I would almost have to use some kind of tagging system that had thumbnails in the cache so I can see a group of pictures very quickly.-superboyac (February 10, 2009, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Aperture, Lightroom, iView, idImager, iMatch

Using the program to view, discard, rate and tag. Some pros claim to process each photo in a matter of seconds. And some people use some of these progs for tweaking the photos.
-Dormouse (February 10, 2009, 06:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I should have clarified my comment better: I purchased ACDSee Photo Manager 2009 for under $35.00 (upgrade price).

Aperture:  $199  + For Macs (I use Windows)

Lightroom:    $299

iView:  No longer available. Purchased by Microsoft and replaced with Microsoft Expression Media 2: $199

IDimager:  $129 (Pro), $69 (Personal)

iMatch:  $64.95

I think I did OK with my upgrade.

Thanks!

Jim

qforce:
It looked fairly interesting until I read the hardware requirements section...
-qforce (February 10, 2009, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hardware requirements

* CPU: the absolute minimum is a Pentium II at 400 MHz, a Pentium III at 1 GHz or better is recommended.
    * main memory: minimally 128 MB, 256 MB is recommended.
    * disk space requirements: 100 MB + 2 MB per 1000 scanned items.

--- End quote ---

They don't seem that bad to me...
-Darwin (February 10, 2009, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

100 MB of disk space for the program itself? This looks more like an office suite with built-in desktop search, if you ask me...
And 128 MB RAM is already half of what my Eclipse IDE (a very hungry beast) usually needs.

aenache36:
100 MB of disk space for the program itself? This looks more like an office suite with built-in desktop search, if you ask me...
-qforce (February 11, 2009, 07:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Greetings.

That is the size of the index file and not the program itself. Autofocus.exe(ver. 5.0 for MSWin) has 44,6KB...
Regarding RAM, as much as I could see is that Java is the hungry beast...

Best regards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version