ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (115/181) > >>

aenache36:
...is a "Site Admin" at the ADUNA forum!  Now that IS confusing!   ;D

Hey, you must admit that's a weird way to name forum members.
-J-Mac (February 03, 2009, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's just a simple configuration mistake IMO, I will send them an e-mail tomorrow...

In the mean time...you know what to do.
Cheers!

aenache36:
aenache36,

I wasn’t trying to kick you or anything. ...
And now we know otherwise. We cool?

Thanks!

Jim
-J-Mac (February 03, 2009, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I thank you for the time taken to reply.
I appreciate your good intentions(you like to share also, don't you?) and I didn't felt mistreated at all. Sometimes things/people are not what they appear to be in the first place.

All the best for now.

qforce:
Hi,

I'm the project admin of DocFetcher, an Open Source desktop search app. I've noticed in several posts in this thread that there seems to be a real need for e-mail indexing and the likes, which puzzles me a bit. More precisely: Why do you guys need an additional program to search your local e-mails when you could use the search feature of your respective e-mail client instead? Moreover, why do you use e-mail clients at all? I, for one, use Google Mail, and am perfectly happy with its search capabilities.

On a more general note, are there any people out there who definitely need a desktop search app to locate images, music, videos, etc.? If so, then why don't you use your picture managers, media players, etc. to do that? Wouldn't that be a much more efficient and appropriate way to organize images, music, etc.?

I'd be thankful for any enlightenment about this issue.

Btw, DocFetcher 1.0 is (probably) about to be released this month and adds support for MS Office 2007 and WordPerfect.

CWuestefeld:
Why do you guys need an additional program to search your local e-mails when you could use the search feature of your respective e-mail client instead?
-qforce (February 08, 2009, 04:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Have you tried the built-in search feature of Outlook?  :o  It's completely unusable for anyone who has accumulated more than ... oh ... 100 messages.

Moreover, why do you use e-mail clients at all? I, for one, use Google Mail, and am perfectly happy with its search capabilities.
--- End quote ---

It's a different topic, but... Personally, I use a localized solution because I don't have high bandwidth available (512kbps max), so I'm better off retrieving stuff once and caching it locally. Also, what poor connection I have is unreliable.

For corporations it's even more significant (hello, open-source world: corporations really do exist). Obviously you want to be able to manage your own internal email. The bandwidth cost could be enormous, and more importantly, many organizations must guarantee privacy (HIPAA, Sarbanes-Oxley). And if they've got to have a localized client, then they can't rely on GMail's search.

On a more general note, are there any people out there who definitely need a desktop search app to locate images, music, videos, etc.? If so, then why don't you use your picture managers, media players, etc. to do that? Wouldn't that be a much more efficient and appropriate way to organize images, music, etc.?
--- End quote ---

Why force people to learn multiple apps? It might be fine for me; I'm well-practiced at such learning, and might benefit from targeted optimizations. But what about for my mom? I think it's fairly typical for people to think that anything they got off the web or via email are all "from the Internet"; how do you explain to such a person when they need to use which tool? (I remember trying to explain to my grandfather, as he was scanning genealogical material, when to save as JPG vs. when to save as PNG. What's an instinctive selection to us is befuddling and nonsensical to "civilians")

More importantly, it's impossible to compartmentalize mail vs documents vs media, etc. A huge portion of my email contains attached documents. And a non-trivial portion of my docs contain embedded images and audio. So if one is to effectively find all email that contain a document that has an embedded image, one needs to be able to handle the whole chain, all the way down.

qforce:
Have you tried the built-in search feature of Outlook?  :o  It's completely unusable for anyone who has accumulated more than ... oh ... 100 messages.
-CWuestefeld (February 08, 2009, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Why oh why do people continue to buy and use crap like that even when they know it's complete rubbish. Jesus... Really makes me angry.

For corporations it's even more significant (hello, open-source world: corporations really do exist). Obviously you want to be able to manage your own internal email. The bandwidth cost could be enormous, and more importantly, many organizations must guarantee privacy (HIPAA, Sarbanes-Oxley). And if they've got to have a localized client, then they can't rely on GMail's search.
--- End quote ---
Well, as an unpaid freelance programmer I do not really care about the enormous needs of big corporations (why would I). However, I do care about this: Do "normal" people really need super-powerful search programs?

Why force people to learn multiple apps? It might be fine for me; I'm well-practiced at such learning, and might benefit from targeted optimizations. But what about for my mom? I think it's fairly typical for people to think that anything they got off the web or via email are all "from the Internet"; how do you explain to such a person when they need to use which tool? (I remember trying to explain to my grandfather, as he was scanning genealogical material, when to save as JPG vs. when to save as PNG. What's an instinctive selection to us is befuddling and nonsensical to "civilians")

More importantly, it's impossible to compartmentalize mail vs documents vs media, etc. A huge portion of my email contains attached documents. And a non-trivial portion of my docs contain embedded images and audio. So if one is to effectively find all email that contain a document that has an embedded image, one needs to be able to handle the whole chain, all the way down.
--- End quote ---
Yes, but... images, music and video do not contain text (except for the filename and meta data), so the way I see it, it doesn't make much sense to use a desktop search program instead of a picture manager, a media player, etc., to retrieve these files. It would make sense if computers had reliable image recognition capabilities, if they were able to "understand" music, etc., but that's not the case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version