ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (113/181) > >>

aenache36:
Greetings.

I doubt that even "the best" of breed DST is all around better that its opponents. Maybe it is a better idea to discuss what is the best application for a particular user profile.
Mine looks like that:
1. free software
2. able to index usual file types and mail(Outlook mainly)
3. able to index web sites
4. able to index network mapped drives
5. able to handle vast amounts of documents, both as number and size
6. (very) short learning time
7. the possibility to use the computer all the time(X1/Copernic users know what I am talking about...)

I found all the above and more:
8. client - server(excellent for LAN/ corporate use)
9. Boolean syntax supported, proximity/fuzzy search included
10. Open source/ OS independent(more or less)
11. superb visual display of the results
etc
in one marvelous product called AutoFocus, more info you can find at ADUNA.

Prior to AutoFocus I use to regard X1 as "THE DTS" of choice...not the case anymore...since 2005 I use AutoFocus on a daily basis for my 110.000(+/-)documents/~80GB hosted both on my HDD and network locations.
BTW, Yahoo DTS had a beta version that could index mapped network drives...and that was working nice for me but after one upgrade I was bitterly disappointed to notice that the feature is no longer available for the free version but only in the commercial version of X1 - and that is how I stared to dig for a new DTS software . Does anyone had a similar experience?

What can I say more? That AutoFocus is not the best of the best, file preview and the ability to index within archives is still under development but certainly it is THE  BEST for me.

HTH.
Best regards.

J-Mac:
aenache36 (Post above this one), it seems is the Site Administrator for the ADUNA forums, and presumably should know proper forum etiquette and disclose his relationship with the software/website he is pushing/recommending.    8)

Jim

aenache36:
aenache36 (Post above this one), it seems is the Site Administrator for the ADUNA forums, and presumably should know proper forum etiquette and disclose his relationship with the software/website he is pushing/recommending.    8)

Jim
-J-Mac (February 03, 2009, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Greetings Jim

I have NO business relations with the makers of AutoFocus.
Please bear in mind that AutoFocus is FREE.
Indeed I have many posts on their forum simply because I like AutoFocus very much, I have experience with it and I like to share it(whenever I have time for that...)
In fact please think for a second that I could have chose any username but I used here aenache36 as well because I know pretty well what I am talking about... and my posts from the forum can prove that.
If you feel that my enthusiasm can be interpreted as a clear sign of improper forum etiquette please feel free to mention what is disturbing you and I will be glad to make all the necessary corrections.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

CWuestefeld:
I don't think that Jim was accusing you of any bias, nor would he -- there are several software authors on this forum that like to tout their products. This is perfectly cool in this neighborhood, it's just that we've developed some etiquette to balance against this. It's just expected that if you have some relationship with the creator of a product, that you should make that known explicitly. You'll see this most clearly if you visit the mini-review section, where it's common for people to review something they were given free as a promo, and that fact is always disclosed.

This is really a good think for you if you do want to evangelize a product. It means that people will know who to ask questions of when they're seeking a better understanding of that product.

aenache36:
This is really a good think for you if you do want to evangelize a product. It means that people will know who to ask questions of when they're seeking a better understanding of that product.
-CWuestefeld (February 03, 2009, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Greetings CWuestefeld,

As I mentioned already I like to share and choosing to use the same username was done specifically for that reason, you understood correctly my intentions.

Best regards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version