ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (109/181) > >>

vitali_y:
StopKa desktop search - has a stable release! - so now i'm ready to compete with best others;
sorry for such first look promote writings - i think this is true - if you argue about it or if you have questions - please
i'm ready to answer here -> https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=15990.0
i'm author - and my program is ready to you critics.

vixay:
woohoo!
My vote counts! :)
I just switched my vote from Copernic to Locate, since I've absolutely stopped using Copernic and use Locate exclusively now, and now Locate is number 1 :)

Anyway to answer some other questions, performance is the key difference between content based search and filename search.

Ex. My copernic database was about 500 MB in size for my 250GB harddrive... and this is because i'd included name only indexing for a whole bunch of folders (almost my entire drive)...

My locate database is about 20MB for all filenames in entire hard drive. (didn't check what it is for "everything" program, i assume smaller though)

Copernic's indexer run's almost all the time while idle, while locate i run once everyday during lunch and doesn't take more than 5 minutes (including scanning network drives)...

those are the performance considerations, but they do offer different things. I think the best combo now is probably CDS + Locate/Everything.

vitali_y:
vixay! what about StopKa? i expected it will be your number 1 after you test it
onece more sorry for such promotional sentences - but StopKa needs your attention - please ask all questions here
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=15990.0

Dormouse:
what about StopKa-vitali_y (November 24, 1973, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK. I thought I would give it a go.

Problem 1
What I expect to see when setting up an index is a number of obvious options to select. At a minimum-

* location(s) of files/documents to index
* types of file/document to index
* location to save index to
* name of index
I did not find this. And in my initial looking around the menus, I could not even find the location in which the index would be placed.

Problem 2
Never mind, I thought. I'll try an index and see how it goes and then should be able to find the index file easily enough.
I did the index; drive C. Indexed lots of files; only just over 3 hours. Found index in C:\Stopka\. But however I tried to search, I couldn't get it to find any documents.

Problem 3
Never mind, I thought again. I will move the index location to a suitable place. I will index most of the internal hard drives. And left it to run overnight.
In morning, a visual C error message. And a Windows message saying windows had run out of memory and had switched to a paging file (first time that has ever happened to me in recent years, and not a lot was running apart from Stopka) - and it was obviously running like treacle. Restarted machine. Deleted Stopka.

Sorry to be negative, but I do expect a much easier path into testing out a Search program.

muntealb:
It looks nice, but it's extremely unstable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version