ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (94/181) > >>

kartal:
Hey that is great. I have not tested your application, but I really really welcome open source desktop search. I just do not like desktop search stuff from Ms, Google and bunch of others. But I hope yours will be successfull.

I will try tonight hopefully.

Btw are you planning any thunderbird and contacts support at all?

Thanks for the friendly welcome :)
I hope Curd won't take my comment as a personal offence or something; I just couldn't help but laugh :D
-qforce (November 09, 2008, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

qforce:
Btw are you planning any thunderbird and contacts support at all?
-kartal (November 09, 2008, 05:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Actually no. With Gmail and all that web stuff I can easily search in my e-mails and contacts from any computer with internet connection, not just from the computer where my e-mail client is installed. That's why I abandoned thunderbird a long time ago, and why I never really felt the need to go beyond document indexing.
Furthermore, I think it would somewhat bloat up the user interface and the search results, making the program less usable for what it was originally written, that is, document retrieval. For a more detailed explanation, you can read the "Comparison To Other Desktop Search Applications" section on the DocFetcher website.

You can, of course, try to convince me otherwise :D

Btw, the other reason why I left thunderbird behind is that I've lost hundreds of e-mails because I forgot to include them in the backup before formatting the disk. FUCK... Lesson learned: Don't use programs that store important data in obscure "profile" folders.

4wd:
Btw, the other reason why I left thunderbird behind is that I've lost hundreds of e-mails because I forgot to include them in the backup before formatting the disk. F*CK... Lesson learned: Never use your hard drive as your main e-mail repository.-qforce (November 09, 2008, 06:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

And the reason why I only use the portable versions of Firefox and Thunderbird - let's me format/install the system as many times as I like without losing my settings/emails because I forgot to back them up.  ;)

Grorgy:
looks interesting qforce, do you, or do you intend to support the docx and other formats from MS Office 2007?

qforce:
looks interesting qforce, do you, or do you intend to support the docx and other formats from MS Office 2007?
-Grorgy (November 09, 2008, 07:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
DocFetcher will support MS Office 2007 as soon as the guys from Apache POI are done with implementing support for these formats, which I expect to happen soon. (Apache POI is the library DocFetcher uses to extract text from MS Office files.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version