ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (92/181) > >>

Darwin:
Both WinPatrol and AnVir Task Manager Pro handle delayed startups. WinPatrol provides you with more options and control and comes in a free version, mind you...

Darwin:
Oh! And of course. Startup Delayer does this very well as well...

J-Mac:
Hmm..  I already have Anvir Task Manager but disabled all features which are already covered by other utilities I'm running; of course once I disabled the startup features - because I have Chameleon running - I never considered them again, and I had not even checked them out deep enough to see if it had a delay feature. Likewise I disabled the features that duplicated Process Tamer's tasks. I'll have to look at Anvir's startup capabilities again. Which are you using?

The last time you mentioned WinPatrol I took a look at it but didn't see where it provided for startup delays. Two I looked at allowed delays of up to one minute - that's no help at all. Might as well have them all start together as they are going to bang heads that way too.

Thanks!

Jim

Dormouse:
WinPatrol allows pretty much total control over startup delays. Right click on the startup prog and you have the option to delay it; move to the delayed startup tab and you can set the time of the delay in 10 second chunks up to 1hr+.

Darwin:
Jim - I use WinPatrol to delay various programs at startup. As Dormouse notes, it allows you a high degree of control over startup.

I have the latest version of Task Manager Pro installed as well. It's more simplistic in that it allows you to list a bunch of applications to start after windows is loaded (you can specify how long TM Pro waits before starting to load them - default is 60 seconds) and then loads them at a set number of seconds apart (default is 30). This is in contrast to WP, which allows you to set the delay on a per application basis. This is nice if you know that a particular app needs more time than others to load.

As you note, it also duplicates mousers ProcessTamer to a small degree. However, like the startup delay there is not as much end-user configuration possible  - it's a system wide blanket setting, not a per application setting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version