ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (91/181) > >>

Darwin:
I decided to update the all-in-one index in PaperPort... The reason it takes so long is that it uses OCR technology to convert the pdfs to text. I have 10's of thousands of pdfs, some up to 1000 pages long, hence the HUGE amount of time it takes to index. Why it is done this way is beyond me - the three dedicated indexers that I mentioned index my pdfs in minutes. THe main advantage to the Nuance approach is that it will index pdfs that have been created by combining images (and not selecitng "save as searchable pdf" or some similar option). These are not indexed by X1, dtSearch or Archivarius and I assume are no indexed by WDS 4, either.

Carol Haynes:
The trouble with OCR in Paperport/OmniPage/TextBridge (they are all the same as far as i know) is that it is so inaccurate. Unless you are prepared to spend a sizeable chunk of your life manually OCRing PDF files and going through all the errors it generates the indexed versions will be less than useful.

The last version of OmniPage I bought was 'much improved' according to Nuance. Having skipped umpteen versions I figured it was worth another go but it was just as crap as ever. As far as I can tell the only things Nuance add to new versions are ever more annoying activation systems.

Feel better having got that off my chest.

PS: I sent that version of OmniPage back for a refund and vowed never to bother with OCR again.

Darwin:
Three hours later and PaperPort is on folder 54 of 6027  :o I'm debating whether this experiment is worth it or not... I certainly don't need to have my pdfs indexed by PaperPort and it's using a lot of CPU... Right, that's that, then. I've just decided that I can't be bothered.

I agree with you about OCR, Carol. However, while using OmniPage to convert a scanned image into a text document can be an exercise in frustration, I've had really good experiences using PDF Converter 4 and now 5 Professional to convert pdfs into searchable documents.

Curt:
I am not going to test DocFetcher any further - unless someone tells me how to make it start minimized - it is too annoying to see it fill up the screen at each startup! The shortcut is of course marked Start Minimized - I also tried if it would accept -tray for an argument - but to no avail.

J-Mac:
I am not going to test DocFetcher any further - unless someone tells me how to make it start minimized - it is too annoying to see it fill up the screen at each startup! The shortcut is of course marked Start Minimized - I also tried if it would accept -tray for an argument - but to no avail.

-Curt (October 29, 2008, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh heh!  :D  Don’t you just hate that !? Try using Chameleon Startup Manager - it does that with ANY program for which I set up a startup delay. Annoying is much too mild a word for this.

If I could find another startup manager that handled start delays I drop this dog in a minute.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version