ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (89/181) > >>

tinjaw:
J-Mac,

I have had zero problems with Locate32 after using it for, oh, I don't know, over a year, and on dozens of computers. My only guess as to why you have problems is that you are not updating your index. Locate32 will only show you files in its index. That index needs to be updated. I have mine set to update every night and sometimes update it manually when I know the machine will be sitting idle for a while.

Do you have Locate32 properly configured to update the index?

J-Mac:
J-Mac,

I have had zero problems with Locate32 after using it for, oh, I don't know, over a year, and on dozens of computers. My only guess as to why you have problems is that you are not updating your index. Locate32 will only show you files in its index. That index needs to be updated. I have mine set to update every night and sometimes update it manually when I know the machine will be sitting idle for a while.

Do you have Locate32 properly configured to update the index?
-tinjaw (August 18, 2008, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, the database updater is run every day automatically at 3 pm.  Two computers are indexed each time. But it does occasionally miss some results - sorry!

Also, I am still not certain exactly how he set up its Boolean operations. If you just type in three or four words, it searches as "ANY" and brings back far too many words. Copernic has similar issues - they just don't seem to follow any single method for Boolean. E.g., if I use + or - it returns ANY. In Copernic I usually have to use AND & OR & NOT in upper case and with spaces surrounding them. Quotes don't always work, either.

Thanks!

Jim

yksyks:
Also, I am still not certain exactly how he set up its Boolean operations. If you just type in three or four words, it searches as "ANY" and brings back far too many words.
-J-Mac (August 18, 2008, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Settings > Advanced > check "Use AND mode as a default"

It should be ON by default, IMHO.

J-Mac:
Also, I am still not certain exactly how he set up its Boolean operations. If you just type in three or four words, it searches as "ANY" and brings back far too many words.
-J-Mac (August 18, 2008, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Settings > Advanced > check "Use AND mode as a default"

It should be ON by default, IMHO.
-yksyks (August 18, 2008, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

No such thing in mine. Are you speaking of Copernic? Mine has Tools>Options>Advanced, but nothing at all about Boolean usage there.

Jim

yksyks:
I thought you were speaking about Locate32, sorry. I've never had any issue of this type with Copernic, though. "AND" is default there, no need to type it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version