ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (85/181) > >>

Curt:
Hi vinc64, ... It's alway GREAT to see developers on these boards discussing their programs.-Darwin (July 02, 2008, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

- yes, I agree.

I like this LookDisk, but I cannot help thinking the author somehow may feel trapped between the customers and Iconico, and that he must be terrible busy! Though I really meant that word I said: "Promising", I also meant the words that followed: "- but for now, I think $30 is too much." Yes, I am still running XP, so I could use this program of his, now, but I am almost certain that my next PC will be a Vista, so guess if I am going to purchase a program that does not support Vista? No, Sir!

.. I just received the Iconico newsletter announcing this
We're happy to announce the release of LookDisk.
--- End quote ---
-Darwin (June 16, 2008, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I received this letter from the author:

Hi Curt,

Glad that you like LookDisk (I'm the author).
As for Vista support, unfortunately it's not a straightforward port from XP so that might take a longer...

Regards,
Vincenzo
--- End quote ---

Promising - but for now, I think $30 is too much.
-Curt (June 16, 2008, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think we should confuse the author with our wishes for this and for that, while he is totally busy making his program Vistable! Only then I might accept Iconico's asking price!

Darwin:
In the interest of being complete, I re-installed Archivarius a couple of weeks back. I no longer remember why - there was some file type or another that X1 and dtSearch didn't handle. At any rate, I keep the indexes for both dtSearch and Archivarius up to date but don't have either scheduled and rarely run either of them. Nice to know they're there, though.

I had occasion to use dtSearch to search a folder on a different computer on my network recently - very impressive, didn't take that long and allowed me to preview the results. It wasn't/isn't installed on the other computer. AFAICT, both Archivarius and X1 require that I install the application on the other computers on my network to take advantage of this.

Armando:
Thanks for the info Darwin!

Carol Haynes:
I think X1 Pro (the paid for version) supports indexing network shares but the free version doesn't.

Curt:
the website for Search GT
http://www.search-gt.com/
says - "Completely integrated into Windows Explorer"

can anyone say what that means... context menu or ..??
-tomos (March 13, 2008, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

- tomos did get an answer, but I would nevertheless like to stress out an important point:

4. Complete integration into Windows Explorer. Search GT duplicates the Windows File Search functionality (check the screenshots). You start the search and get the search results within the Windows Explorer window.

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

-search-gt.com
--- End quote ---

Some of the times I am in the need of renaming, the files in question would be scattered in different folders all over the My Documents directory, or even in C:\..  How do you rename files this far away from each other? The answer is: use SearchGT! Well, not for the actual renaming part, that is, but for the gathering of the files in question, of course. Apart from the blazing speed, this little feature, that SearchGT will show the search result in a normal Explorer window, is what makes that application extra useful. Because when the resulting files from a search within 3 seconds are shown in a normal Explorer window of it's own, you can OpenWith or SendTo your renamer at once, saving a lot of time and work.

I was just reminded of this extra plus today, when I found out that I had been spelling a certain name wrongly many times. ALL of the correction took me less than a minute, even though it included twenty files of five different file types placed in six different folders.

However, I am a little concerned that the program not has been updated for 3½ months. Hmm...  Yes, it is both stable and bugfree (in my setup), but it is *not* as if there aren't a number of features still not available...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version