ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (74/181) > >>

Curt:
EDIT: Please note I run an optimised version of XP - -4wd (June 05, 2008, 10:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

- you don't seem to have the same conception of the word "optimized" as I have. Programs that run perfectly well on other machines will not run on yours, is not quite telling it is 'optimized'. We do not all have the same meaning on this or that, but in general I would say that people who are buying a limousine are not expected to see how much they can remove from the car, are they. If they want the vehicle to move faster they don't usually rip off and throw out the seats, but are more tending to tune up the engine...

Darwin:
I'll take it that here we're primarily talking features as an information finder, rather than a plain file finder or file manager.
-rjbull (June 06, 2008, 03:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes - I was comparing XYPlorer as a search tool in the above post. Thanks for pointing out Total Commander's capabilities as a content search tool - I haven't played with its search feature much and had no idea  :Thmbsup:

The main problem I have with XYPlorer's content search feature is that it is not only slow, but also SO slow that I tend to give up on it (and it chews up a lot of resources as well). I should play with it on a much more restricted set of files (ie not on my entire E: drive - 80+ GB, as I usually do...). You're correct about the first time speed advantage enjoyed by SearchGT being somewhat neutralized after a second and subsequent runs. There was an exchange, that I particiaptated in, about this when SearchGT first came to DC's general attention and this behaviour was explored a bit.

FL Pro is very nice, but BareGrep Pro is much faster... As you might imagine, I have licences for both  :-[

Why all the red faced smilies of late? Well... I have licences for a lot of software but have next to no expertise with any of them - sort of a modified Jack of all trades, master of none... How would that go? Darwin of all apps, master of none  ;D

EDIT: fixed quote

tinjaw:
OK, who is willing to make a summary of this thread so far? I would love a one paragraph description of each app that has risen to the top.

rjbull:
The main problem I have with XYPlorer's content search feature is that it is not only slow, but also SO slow that I tend to give up on it (and it chews up a lot of resources as well).
-Darwin (June 06, 2008, 08:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

You should bring that to DonL's attention, as it's a serious criticism of XYplorer.

I should play with it on a much more restricted set of files (ie not on my entire E: drive - 80+ GB, as I usually do...).

--- End quote ---

Even BareGrepPro takes a while on 100,000 files, if you must start from the root with *.*  ;)

FL Pro is very nice, but BareGrep Pro is much faster

--- End quote ---

BareGrepPro is so fast that it's usually no hardship to run it several times, but sometimes I'd accept a speed penalty for the convenience of Boolean searching on text data, which isn't always easy to "grep."

... As you might imagine, I have licences for both  :-[

Why all the red faced smilies of late? Well... I have licences for a lot of software but have next to no expertise with any of them - sort of a modified Jack of all trades, master of none...  How would that go? Darwin of all apps, master of none 

--- End quote ---

As a good Darwinian, no doubt you're evolving towards mastery?  ;)

Now, about that twelve-step program...   :D

Darwin:
I suppose you're right about drawing my criticism of XYplorer's in-file search feature to Don's attention... It's just that I use XYplorer as a file manager and have never been that interested in it as a search tool. So... my use of it in the latter capacity is restricted almost entirely to checking out features in response to threads like this! Thus, I'm hardly a power user. At any rate, will endeavour to contact Don with my problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version