ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (53/181) > >>

Darwin:
Nope... I'm pretty confident that I haven't set Archivarius up to index pictures. I'll experiment and get back to you.

Darwin:
Wrong again, smarty pants! I did have Archivarius set up to index pictures. I just ran a search on my son's name and got three hits - must say I like the image preview feature in Archivarius - very nice  :Thmbsup: Incidentally, his name doesn't appear in either the file or the folder name, so i am curious about how the three pictures (all three of which feature his brother and not him  :o) got tagged.

I finally got dtSearch to return picture "hits" by searching for "img". It doesn't seem to have the image viewing functionality of Archivarius, though...

I still have 27 days left on the evaluation and do LOVE dtSearch, but I'm probably NOT going to go the distance on the trial. I simply don't see myself springing for it at this time... I'd need to see at least a 50%, and preferably a 66%, discount on it before I'd be tempted to buy it. Couple this with what appears to be a paid upgrade policy (the site states that you are buying a year's worth of support and upgrade protection) and I'm not overly motivated to part with any cash for it...

Darwin:
OK - update: dtSearch AND Windows Desktop Search 3.1 are gone... as should be evident from the comments I've already made, I like both a lot. However, I have noticed a significant DECREASE in issues with Outlook's exe not shutting down now that WDS has been uninstalled. dtSearch - what can I say? It may very well be the Rolls-Royce of desktop search applications, but my Volkswagen gets me from A-Z just as well...

Curt:
I am VERY impressed with the speed of today's offer from Bits du Jour: Search GT. ($10)

The program is quite new and you will probably miss some features for some time. It will not yet search the content of the files, nor any emails, and you will have to wait for the next version to search for folder names. It is merely a plain old fashion search engine. But: the SPEED! Be aware that this is done without any indexing at all!!

So what makes it so fast? In a nutshell, Search GT reads the file system directly, bypassing all of the Windows system libraries that are normally used for file enumeration. This allows users to get the results fast, and ensures that those results are always up-to-date.-Search GT
--- End quote ---

http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/search-gt/ $9.97

-

Darwin:
I saw that too, Curt. Looks a bit like DC member Veign's own Seeker application...  :o

EDIT: I went and looked more closely. The resemblances are purely superficial. It looks to me like Seeker is much more powerful (regex searching, search and replace, search within files, etc.). Of course, I haven't tried them side by side... Yet!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version