ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (52/181) > >>

Darwin:
I just tried updating Archivarius' E-mail index - the one created using "custom mailboxes" with Outlook still running in the background and, as far as I can tell, no new messages were added after updating for 8 minutes. I deleted the index, closed Outlook, and recreated the index. Elapsed time? 6:23. This is a lot slower than dtSearch, but it works. I've deleted the index reliant on the OLE method (it was 12% updated after 17 minutes) and will simply rebuild the index with Outlook shutdown from now on...

Still loving dtSearch, but heeding Curt's advice!

Just to respond to Chris, who posted as I typed the above, Archivarius allows you to set up different indices as well, which is how I've got my installation set up. Agree about the price but am not so sure about the GUI - but I run XP in Classic mode, like Total Commander's GUI, and don't mind Archivarius text based previews...

Darwin:
PS This is the way to fly... I decided to update the E-mail index mentioned above with Outlook shutdown and it took 17 seconds.

Armando:
PS This is the way to fly... I decided to update the E-mail index mentioned above with Outlook shutdown and it took 17 seconds.
-Darwin (March 10, 2008, 06:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice. I'll do that too.

Odd. I can't make this work, Armando - in either dtSearch or Archivarius.
-Darwin (March 10, 2008, 03:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Open one of your pictures with a text editor -- like Notepad++ -- and look for the metadata info at the beginning of the file; then look for the string with Archivarius. OR find a picture with archivarius, and at the bottom of the viewing pane choose "text" instead of "image". You'll see the available metadata available for the image (well laid out too). Then, redo a search with one of the metadata string. I love it!

I'm using Archivarius v4.

Darwin:
Yeah - this is the weird thing, I can't find any pictures in either Archivarius 4 or dtSearch - and I have tried searching for the metadata string. I'll look into it further.

Armando:
Even the pictures' names are not indexed???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version