ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (50/181) > >>

Armando:
Thanks Darwin. Always interesting to see how are these Desktop Search tools work for others in specific contexts.

Darwin:
Yippee! I tried the alternative method (New Index - E-mail - Custom Mailboxes)

to index my PST files and Archivarus indexed both my archive.pst and my outlook.pst files in less than 15 minutes (no idea how long because I left the room and have just returned). AFAICT the information gleaned is identical to using the OLE menthod, the only difference is that Outlook can't be running while the indexing is being done. I can live with that!

I'll keep playing with dtSearch, but I'm happy with Archivarius  :-*

EDIT: added screenshot

iphigenie:
I tried archivarius but it couldnt index my Outlook files - although this might be because my mail is all on the exchange server, but there is still a local cache

I will try your trick, it might work

Babis:
Hello and sorry for late response.

- not as quick as archivarius, copernic or X1 -Armando (March 09, 2008, 06:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
- a bit more difficult to find what I was looking for -- - couldn't enter search queries as quickly
--- End quote ---

I doubt it. Consider that it finds as you type – it can’t be faster than that, just type anything you want and from the second letter it displays results

- not as accurate
--- End quote ---
Why? Here are the some on the fly search options, that making searching personalized and easier:

- Index was taking a lot of space
--- End quote ---

Not if you exclude binary files from the options

- RAM hungry
--- End quote ---

RAM hungry? Exactly the opposite is the reason that I am using it. Just schedule updates (which are executed through Windows’ Scheduled tasks, usually in high speed if you exclude binary files, as above and if its not the initial index . No hidden processes, actually when you don’t use the program there is not even a single process running on the PC

A feature that I would like to be added is to be able to exclude certain file types from one index and to include them in another index (like copernic’s). For example I want to exclude pdf files from one index only (out of many indexes). I am not able to do it – as filtering options are universal and apply to all indexes.

Try the latest beta and you won't be disappointed.

Darwin:
<Sigh> I believe I should uinstall dtSearch. Immediately. I'm a software junkie and I'm mainlingin dtSearch right now. It is SWEET. As I learn how to use it effectively, I appreciate its power... and, despite Armando's experience, it's small footprint.

However, I can ill afford the asking price AND Archivarius does not yield much to dtSearch (nothing, really, if you factor in the way I tend to use Desktop Search applications). And yet I hesitate. Give me strength...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version