ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (49/181) > >>

Armando:
Bummed. My PST was initially indexed - from scratch - in about 2 hours (virus scan kicked in and slowed everything down). This compares favourably with my experience ten months ago when I first installed Archivarius and it took 34 hours to index my PST! That index was then updated in about 17 mintues. I decided to test this with version 4 and gave up at 26% indexed and 40 minutes of elapsed time  :(
-Darwin (March 09, 2008, 12:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
annoying... Was waiting impatiently for that update too.

jiffener:
Does someone knowhow I can index files of a PORTABLE thunderbird version?
-masu (March 09, 2008, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have that same question.  But no answer.

Another question too, is there any desktop search that can index Outlook on an Exchange server, such as accessed by Outlook Web Access?   That is, by connecting to a server instead of searching on a PC--because the PC does not actually have the program installed?

Those capabilities would be uber-cool.

Darwin:
Ahem (Darwin clears throat nervously): anyone here (other than Babis and Armando) every try dtSearch? It just indexed 30GB of my harddrive in under two hours, while I was using my computer, and handled Outlook flawlessly. It's awesome, but comes with an awesome price. I'm going to run the 30 day trial and see how I get on with it... I might be in trouble if I fall in love with it, though - $199! Hopefully there are discount codes floating around on the web or academic pricing options (though if there are I haven't found them yet).

Armando - what didn't you like about dtSearch (other than the price!)?

Armando:
IIRC  :-[ :

- a bit more difficult to find what I was looking for -- - couldn't enter search queries as quickly
- not as quick as archivarius, copernic or X1
- not as accurate
- Index was taking a lot of space,
- RAM hungry

But, it's been a while... It might have improved.
I also had a bit less RAM back then, so that was an issue.

Darwin:
I reconfigured Archivarius to *look* more like dtSearch (stupid stuff I hadn't thought to try before, like placing the viewing pane at the bottom of the screen) and re-indexed my Outlook files. Took a hair over 2 hours  :o All I want for Christmas is an Archivarius COM add-in for Outlook. I'll never ask for anything else, ever. Promise!

Thanks for your insights on dtSearch. With 2GB RAM on my system, I didn't notice it being particularly memory intensive and, as mentioned, it indexed everything in two hours flat. I'll try updating the index in a day or two and see how it does. However, I'm already blanching at the prospect of paying $200 for it... Archivarius does everything that I need it to. I'm going to try indexing Outlook as "other e-mail" and see where that gets me. For now, I intend to continue with WDS and Outlook and Archivarius for everything else. Will keep you posted on my experience with dtSearch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version