ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (48/181) > >>

Darwin:
Hooray! I'll be looking into this immediately - thank you for bringining it to our attention, johnk. I"m hoping this means that the author has changed the way in which PST files are handled... if it does, it will DRAMATICALLY (and that is truly an understatement) improve the speed with which PST files are indexed...

Right. Off to check this out now.

Darwin:
Hmph. I'm indexing Outlook with Archivarius for the first time in a long time but without a lot of optimism - it's still done using the OLE method, which is s-l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-w. Still, it's supposed to have been improved, so I'll reserve judgement. If it proves to be too slow, I'm going to try this:

A3000 also support direct access (via "Custom mails"), it is useful if PST file is not connected to Outlook (e.g. just stored somewhere as backup)
--- End quote ---

The author made that note to me a long time ago and I've never explored that as an alternative. Truth be told, I'd never really picked up on its significance!

Darwin:
Oh, another thing... re: WDS - I've reverted to having it index Outlook only. It works on other folders/drives only if the Properties - Advanced setting: "For fast searching, allow Indexing Service to &index this folder" is enabled. I'd rather use Archivarius... Incidentally, I managed to crash Outlook while indexing it with Archivarius (see above) and am redoing it now. So far, 9% of the PST has been indexed (15000 documents total) and 4:45 minutes have elapsed. It *looks* like OLE might be quick enough to make this worthwhile. If it will update the index in under 20 minutes without barfing out error messages (as it did in the past) I might even be moved to uninstall WDS.

EDIT: the crash was not Archivarius' fault - I was messing about with COM add-ins in Outlook. See this posting for the whys and the wherefores! Note that I did this WHILE having Archivarius index the PST. Not a bright thing to do...

Darwin:
Bummed. My PST was initially indexed - from scratch - in about 2 hours (virus scan kicked in and slowed everything down). This compares favourably with my experience ten months ago when I first installed Archivarius and it took 34 hours to index my PST! That index was then updated in about 17 mintues. I decided to test this with version 4 and gave up at 26% indexed and 40 minutes of elapsed time  :(

masu:
Does someone knowhow I can index files of a PORTABLE thunderbird version?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version