ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (111/181) > >>

Crush:
I think stopKa is working without any included spyware or worm. A big problem is that the program needs a tricky user to get "normal" results. I also concentrate on the theme Disc-Cataloging and Searching here, but the way he´s promoting it here is by far more intense (pushing) then I do with my own Disc-Cataloger project.

J-Mac:
I think stopKa is working without any included spyware or worm. A big problem is that the program needs a tricky user to get "normal" results. I also concentrate on the theme Disc-Cataloging and Searching here, but the way he´s promoting it here is by far more intense (pushing) then I do with my own Disc-Cataloger project.
-Crush (December 27, 2008, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really wasn’t trying to be accusatory or offensive to him. It's just that whenever my machine starts to act in a way similar to what it sounded like some here were experiencing, that's the first thing I do after rebooting. I download and run a LOT of software applications and when anyone does that - especially with unproven software - there's a higher degree of risk than so-called "normal" users (Meaning people like my father-in-law who checks email, looks at photos sent to him, and not much else.   :)  )

A safety measure, if you will.

Jim

Dormouse:
I download and run a LOT of software applications and when anyone does that - especially with unproven software - there's a higher degree of risk than so-called "normal" users -J-Mac (December 27, 2008, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree completely about the need for caution. I keep my private stuff in encrypted areas; I always have the option of restoring the system if I'm doubtful about software rather than deleting/uninstalling. I would note that successful malware doesn't draw attention to itself, but that doesn't mean you don't get not very successful malware wreaking havoc. I don't think there is that sort of product with this. Not had a problem with the system since. I was running Kaspersky all the time; I have run a F-Secure scan from the web (found a couple of ad trackers). Am doing a detailed Kaspersky scan now; about time anyway.

cyberdiva:
You might want to give Everything a try. I like it better than Locate32. It is lightning fast and doesn't need to index as it uses the NTFS journal.
-edbro (December 21, 2008, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
Edbro, I want to thank you again for recommending Everything.  I installed it and have been blown away with how fast it is, how easy it is to use, and how well it finds everything I've asked it to.  I'm so pleased I may not even bother installing Locate32, at least not right away.

Thanks, too, to Darwin and others who provided more info about full-text search programs.   I think I'll continue to use Copernic for full-text searches and use Everything for searches where I'm just trying to find a filename.

vitali_y:
I'm here. I'll propose to discuss all your problems with StopKa - here https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=15990.0 - it has a complicated interface - i admit this. Of cause no spyware here.
As i think, Darwin, your first experience was with first public version - after that as you can see i public new one - and i admit that it should be stable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version