ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

<< < (106/181) > >>

J-Mac:
I've read through most of this thread with great interest, but I confess that I'm now bleary-eyed and still a bit confused.  Currently, my search program of choice is Copernic Desktop Search, version 3.0,0.  It finds just about everything I want except my email messages (because I use Mulberry as my email client); for email I happily use Mailbag Assistant.   What I'm trying to understand is what programs like Archivarius, Locate32, and others do that I don't already get from Copernic.   I feel a little foolish asking this after so much discussion has already taken place, but I honestly haven't been able to figure this out.   Copernic finds my files VERY quickly, it does full-text searches, the price is right....  I'd be more than willing to add another program, even one for which I'd have to pay, if it offered me something important that Copernic doesn't already do.   Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
-cyberdiva (December 21, 2008, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Edbro explained it very well.

I do have need for a file search tool, one that can find text within most of my files, but much more often than that I just need to find all files containing certain text within the filename. Locate32 and Everything both do that well. I have been using Locate32 for a while and I just installed Everything about a month and a half ago. I often search with both, one after another, when I am looking for files. I would prefer just to use one but I decided to give them a side-by-side look for now. And I do come across results in one that are not in the other occasionally - but that has been very infrequent.

It is much less frequently that I really need to search within documents for specific terms.

Jim

cyberdiva:
Thanks very much, edbro and Jim, for your quick responses.   I know that Locate32 finds filenames only, while Copernic will do a full-text as well as search for filenames.  I tend to need both kinds of searches.  I may give Locate32 a try to see whether it finds kinds of files that Copernic overlooks.  However, I guess what I'm really wondering is whether there are advantages to some of the other full-text search programs rather than Copernic.  I don't recall coming upon much information about that in this rather lengthy and often very interesting discussion.

edbro:
Locate32 will find files that Copernic doesn't because Copernic only finds in the directories you tell it to search.

You might want to give Everything a try. I like it better than Locate32. It is lightning fast and doesn't need to index as it uses the NTFS journal.

Darwin:
cyberdiva - Jim and edbro have already answered your question, but it raises a point/observation:

This thread can be distilled down into the following statement: "The best Desktop Search software is the software that works best for you"  ;D

Seriously!

EDIT: I really need to learn how to spell  :-[

cyberdiva:
Thanks very much, edbro, both for the clarification about Locate32 and the recommendation of Everything.  I think maybe I'll give both of them a try.  If I learn anything earthshaking, I'll report it here.

Again, many thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version